Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Rhode Isl;and beach for small kids (6 and 3 yr olds)...peace, quiet ?`

Old Nov 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi, we are thinking of renting a beach house in RI in Aug 2010 and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for best area...have heard that Naragansett may be the best area. Quiet, low key, nice place required. Shallow beach would be idea, with sand bars for the little ones to play on. Any views?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 07:41 PM

You are asking for alot here...LOL

A perfect kid beach is Salty Brine. However, it is far from quiet and you need to get there early. But many other beaches in RI have very large waves and tide. You really won't find sand bars in our ocean. But, everything is drivable, so you can go from one place to another.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Check out Watch Hill. If you go to the west side of Napatree Point, you have no waves at all, on the east side there is nice sand to play in and sometimes waves although not always. There is also a very neat historic merry go round where the kids can really get a brass ring.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 05:22 AM

You might want to look at the beach communities around Quonochontaug Pond "Quonnie", East and Central Beach, Shady Harbor, Shelter Harbor and Weekapaug. Although they have ocean beaches (where most people bring kids of any age) they also have access to the salt pond, which is always calm and good for kayaking, clamming, sailing, etc. They're all very family oriented. Surf on the ocean beaches ranges from disappointingly flat to quite rough, just depends on the weather.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM

ooh, I always forget about the salt pond! I am going to have to remember that this summer. Perfect spot and suggestion!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM

I think Salty Brine is a great beach for kids.

The beach itself is a small crescent shape enclosed within the sea wall so the waves are not as rough (but still fun to play in) and it is pretty shallow - long and gradual drop off. Unlike some beaches, there is pretty good visibility in the water, so you can sometimes see fish and things. Good for swimming. The beach isn't terribly long either, so it is easier to keep an eye on your family. Good soft white sand. Seashells and such. No sand bars, but you can climb on the breakwaters and even watch the boats and ferries as the come into the harbor.

Narragansett is beautiful, but the tides are stronger.