Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I've Narrowed it Down to 3 Hotels - Any Additional Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Sharon

I've narrowed my choice down to three hotels:
Crown Plaza in Times Square
Sheraton Manhatton
Le Parker Merridian

I chose these hotels because of good reviews and good locations but also because they all three have pools for my 14 year old son. I've read negative comments, though, on Sheraton's pool (dirty, dingy).

I would appreciate any additional information (pro's and con's) on these three hotels. THANKS !

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Flynn

Le Parker Meridian - especially if the rates are similar to the other two.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Donna

Definitely the Parker Meridien, especially for the pool.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:31 AM
x

I agree that Le Parker Meridien has a wonderful pool-it's on the roof and you can order room service delivered there. There is also Gravity gym. Norma's is a neat place for breakfast/brunch. Also, the location is really good. Don't know much about the other two, but I wouldn't pick a hotel in Times Square, and Sheratons never strike me as comfortable places.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:12 AM
s

The Parker Meridian would be my choice.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM
me

Well, I stayed at the Crown Plaza last May and had a fine time. I thought the location could not be beat. I didn't go swimming, so no comment there. The front desk was VERY discreetly responsive to the loud TV being played in the next door room at midnight. Positive experience. But a regular typical, spacious American hotel room. Drawback to staying in Times Square: only non-creative, big chain restaurants within walking distance, IMO.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Dan

I have to chime in with the others and say that Le Parker Meridien is the nicest of the three. Are the rates similar at all three?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Sharon

Sor far, I found the best rate at the Parker Meridien, which surprises me.

Parker $189 through Quikbook
Crowne $209 through Quikbook
Sheraton $229 by calling them direct

For any of you who are experienced in booking rooms in NY, would I be better off (price wise) booking now, or waiting awhile? Will they run summer specials as it gets closer?

I'm too hesitant to try Priceline.

Thanks for all your help !

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Sue

Sharon, I would book the Meridian now. Quickbook is excellent about "adjusting" your rate if you find something lower. If you have any concerns you can make your quickbook reservation by phone so then can answer your questions. I usually book with them via the internet, but one time had specific questions regarding our stay in San Francisco, and I found their customer service people to be outstanding.

Also, thanks for posting the rates at the hotels you were considering, I found it informative.