Search

Itinerary help for NYC trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Eee
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help for NYC trip

My wife & I are coming across from England in July for our first visit to NYC. It's our 25th anniversary! We've booked the flight into JFK & booked in at the Millenium UN Plaza. Staying for six nights. That was the easy bit! Dont know where to start when I think about an intinerary! So much to see & do! Any & all advice would be welcome.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
GoTravel

First visit I highly suggest the $49 All Loop Grayline Double Decker Tour bus.

It will give you an overview of Manhattan and orient you geographically. Because of all the skyscrapers, it is easy to get disoriented.

Plus, it is a fun tour! I've done it at least half a dozen times and I never get bored!

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Eee
Original Poster

Cheers mate.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Eee
Original Poster

anything else?....must do's..must not do's..I'm as green as grass when it comes to NYC so am looking for an itinerary that will make our trip the best! Do we walk everywhere..take the subway..cabs..buses. lso any advice on tipping as us brits have a different take on
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Eee
Original Poster

Sorry hit the wrong key there..was meant to say any advice on tipping as us Brits have a different take on tipping!Thats to say we dont have the same tax implications so dont NEED to tip for every little bit of help/advice.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Hi Eee - there are several itineraries already available on this very website. I recommend reading through them first, and then asking for specific recommendations. You don't really say what your interests are in general - museums, history, music, theater, partying, shopping, etc. so it's hard to give recommendations. Do a search on this forum, read the itineraries, and then come back with your questions.

Tipping can be very personal (read: touchy) topic, but I typically give 20% unless I'm unhappy with the service. This is my philosophy for cabs and restaurants. I'll usually tip a few bucks at the bar if I'm just ordering drinks.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Eee
Original Poster

Thanks lizziea06..I'll do as you say & post a reply later..Many thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM
maj

I like this site for tipping questions.

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Go buy the Eyewitness Top 10 New York City guide, and the Access Guide.

Gosh but there are zillions of websites and other forums/trip reports with suggestions...
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM

Eee,

tax in Manhattan is 8.3%, check your bill (is will show the tax on the meal) if you you double the tax payable you will be paying over 16%, if the service was good you should absolutely give more give more to the server but this is an easy starting point.

Check the bill because we have been to some places that are used to the fact that many tourists in NY don't tip so they add a charge - visitors to Europe complain about tipping twice but that happens here in the US also.

GoT's idea of the Grayline is a wonderful idea, make sure you sit upstairs since most of the interesting 'stuff' is way up and you can't see it from inside (downstairs) the bus.

Make sure to do the evening tour - this can be hard to figure out in July since you might want to eat or see a show but to get the best of the tour you have to be on the bus when it's dark so you can enjoy the sight of Manhattan from Brooklyn.

We have visited the Empire State building during the day and the night www.esbnyc.com (we preferred the night) and the top of the Rockerfella center during the day.www.topoftherocknyc.com. Personally we prefered the Top of the Rock, the queue was a lot quicker, they were more efficient and the view better.

The Staten Island ferry is worth doing (ever seen the movie Working Girl?) you can walk down to there from the WTC site and visit Battery Park.

I hope you'll love it, It's a big place so it takes lots of research but as a Brit living here in the US, I have to say it's one of my favourite cities. We visit a couple of times a year.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Eee
Original Poster

Thanks for info/advice. Now starting to get a handle on things. Anybody been to the 21 Club? What are your thoughts on it?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:46 AM
GoTravel

Love the 21 Club in a very Old Guard New York sort of way. Very clubby power broker and the famous burger is very good.

However, I'd eat at Gramercy Tavern first.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM

I would definitely second the tour bus. Do it the first day. It's hop on, hop off, so if you want to jump off and see something immediately, you can. Or you can just mark it down for later.

DON'T be scared of the subway. You can wind up getting places much faster if you use it efficiently. That being said, it's not always the best for getting across town. Just check your map (off the street please!) and you should get a feel for it.

Go Travel: Funny you say the skyscrapers are disorienting. They're how I ORIENT myself!

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:31 AM

The 21 Club barroom has lots of memorabilia from their patrons past and present. It's a high power place for lunch. The upstairs dining room is more refined (and expensive) but I prefer the barroom. 21 is pretty close to the theaters so if you want to check it out, it's a good option for pre or post theater meal. (Gramercy Tavern, while much better food, is too far for a pre theater meal).

If you're looking for a special anniversary meal, the River Cafe is a popular spot for that. Great views of Manhattan, very good food and service.
rivercafe.com

Another idea is the dinner cruise on Bateaux NY. http://www.spiritcitycruises.com/ba/index.jsp