Italian Restaurants in Manhattan

Apr 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan

We are going to a taping of Emeril Live in the middle of May at the Food Network Studios at 75 Ninth Avenue (between 15th & 16th Streets) in Manhattan. We are not familiar with that section of town. Any suggestions for a great Italian restaurant for dinner within walking distance of that location?

Apr 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM
MHS

Shelly, you might wish to post this question on Chowhounds -- http://www.chowhound.com/boards/manhat/manhat.html
Apr 25th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Shelly there really ar'nt too many fabulous Italian restaurants in Chelsea. SInce you are going to see Emeril, why don't you try one of Mario Batali's restauarants...he is AMAZING!! I LOVE everyone of his places....try Lupa. You will have to taxi over there, but well worth it! It's on Thompson ST. between Bleeker and Houston. It is known as the poor man's Babbo. Go onto menupages.com and look up his menu. It may seem so different then your average Italian restaurant, but it is so weel worth the trip! You won't be sorry!!

Have a great time.

P.S. How long did you have to wait for those Emeril tickets?? I have been emailing that show forever!
Apr 25th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Da Umberto & Le Madri. Da Umberto has better food, Le Madri is very pretty.
Apr 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM

La Bottega in the Maritime Hotel is another option. Food not as good as the others. It's more a scene but nice.
Apr 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM

I have to agree with Bebe - Batali's restaurants are fabulous. I love Babbo and think Lupa, while more casual, is even better sometimes. They are both a cab ride away in the west village. Da Umberto is closer - an oldie but a goodie. Le Madri also has been around for a while, but I don't like it nearly as much as the others. I also have eaten well at Crispo, which is on 14th St.
Apr 25th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Heehee... a friend of mine would love to get tkts. to Emeril. How long did you have to wait?
Apr 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Il Mulino, located at 86 West 3rd Street. Outrageously expensive, but AMAZING food!!! Make reservations as soon as you can if you decide you want to go here since tables are not easy to get.
Apr 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM
mp

I don't know where my earlier post went - but there is Vento - Steve Hansen's meatpacking district Italian place (www.brguest.com) right down the Avenue at 9th and 13th Street - we had dinner there last night - excellent pasta, very good grilled fish, wonderful pizza, very good wine list - a bit of a scene - call ahead. If it's nice you can sit outside.

La Bottegha is across the street in the Maritime hotel - pleasant to sit outside, too but the food and service are iffy at best. Inside the market is Franks - Italian steakhouse - good not great.

FYI - Le Madri has closed. Crispo is not strictly Italian, but has quite good food.
Apr 25th, 2005, 06:47 PM

Mario Batali's Otto is on the corner of 5th Avenue & 8th Street. It's my favorite Batali restaurant right now.
Apr 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all of your ideas. I did go on Chowhound.com and they were very helpful. I decided on Le Zie at 172 7th Avenue (between 20th & 21st). Anyone been there?

In reference to getting the tickets to Emeril Live, on Foodtv.com every once in a while they will announce a lottery for the tickets. I have put my name in for the past couple of years and didn't think I would ever win. But this time I did and am very excited. BAM!!!
Apr 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM
mp

Le Zie is very good - venetian seafood a specialty - try the chicetti - a tier of lots of little appetizers: caponata, sardines, prosciutto . . . delicious with some prosecco. Their branzino is wonderful, as is their fish of the day baked in a salt crust.

The pastas are very good also - but the specials are the thing to get. The owner is very kind, very accomodating. It's a small place, and can get busy. There is a very nice, small room in the back with a table for 6 or 8, if you're with a big group. Have Fun!

Oh - if you're really into food, make sure you leave time to check out the Chelsea Market before the show. And after dinner, you can always walk up to the Whole Foods on 7th Avenue and 24th street and look at all the beautiful organic produce - that's entertainment!