Help me pick a Manhattan restaurant -- one vegetarian in group

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having trouble picking a Manhattan restaurant to enjoy with our out-of-town friends. One is a vegetarian and one doesn't eat red meat or shellfish. Restaurant doesn't need to be vegetarian, but should have some options. Any old Italian or Asian restaurant might do, but seems dull. I'm thinking Rosa Mexicano, but they live in TX and probably get better Mexican there.

It shouldn't be a beautiful crowd as our friends are more lowbrow. Neighborhood: open.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:20 AM

I agree with you, Mexican makes no sense for Texans. Pongal gets very high marks in Zagat for a vegetarian Indian. (lex & 27th). It says "even carnivores enjoy the amazing meatless dishes..." Or if you want some place more special, how about Bread Bar (flatbreads).

Thai might be another good option. Wild Ginger in the village is inexpensive and has nice atmosphere. Fun to walk around after.

Final thought if you want Italian, instead of just a neighborhood Italian, what about La Focaccia in the village. Lovely atmosphere, not pricey, lots of veggie options.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Oooh, great ideas, McLaurie. I knew it was a good thought to post here. I'm going to go check out Wild Ginger now.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:50 AM

I enjoyed Lavagna in the village when we were there earlier this summer. I am primarily vegetarian...their homemade ricotta & spinach ravioli was very tasty.

You can check out Lavagna's (and everyone else's) menu here...

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...=0&cuisineid=0

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:06 AM

Lavagna has one of the best dishes in all of New York -- the very non-vegetarian rigatoni.

It is truly an exceptional dish.

Another very popular option is Josie's, which features both organic only vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. There's one on the UWS and UES. Great crowd/atmosphere.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:41 AM

Have you ever tried Hangawi, which is an upscale Korean all-vegetarian restaurant on East 32nd Street. It's nice, and the food is good. If you don't want something fancy, Spring Street Natural Restaurant on Spring/Lafayette is a stand-by for me, and it has both veg and non-veg choices.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM

We had a great meal at Artisanal- a French bistro with a focus on cheese. A group of us (also all from TX) shared the fondue with lots of sides for dipping- bread, fingerling potatoes, apples, crudites, kielbasa. We ended with a beautiful cheese plate for dessert. The selection of cheeses was spectacular. Our host (a TX transplant) takes all of her out of town guests there.

The restaurant also has non-cheese menu with a variety of French dishes.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...=0&cuisineid=0

Have a great time!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:12 PM

Good call on Artisanal - that's another one of my favorites!

Another Artisanal bonus -- every wine they offer is served by the glass.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:09 PM
JM

Keep in mind that most of the cheeses available at Artisinal will contain rennet, which is an animal product that vegetarians will not eat.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vegetarians should adapt to the wishes of the majority. Their special needs make them the center of attention and force everyone else to conform to their preferences.
I prefer meat dishes with bones but I am willing to go to restaurants that do not serve those items. Socializing sometimes demands compromise. I have not dined in a restaurant anywhere that was unable to offer a nutritional non-meat alternative.
Manhattan is a dining mecca, don't confine your choices.