Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison worth a look/see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I will be doing a 2 week trip around northern AZ and western CO next spring, spending 1 week in each. We are not hikers. Driving from the Ouray/Telluride area to Crested Butte (we like to check out ski areas), I am wondering if the Black Canyon is worth some time. From the few photos I have seen, it looks like the road through it is not particularly scenic itself and that one needs to keep parking and taking short trails to actually see the Canyon. (Short, fairly easy walks are fine.) If we did this, I assume we would wind up staying in either Montrose or Gunnison for a nt. That would be fine if the Canyon scenery is worth it. Thanks for your suggestions.

isy
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:25 AM

By all means do not miss the Black Canyon it is very scenic and all is available just steps from the car.Please do not pass this by.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Norden1, that's a big help with my planning.

isy
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:07 AM

Concur -- kind of a small Grand Canyon much narrower which makes for very dramatic lighting and shadowing, and therefore the name -- Black Canyon. It is impressive.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM

We enjoyed seeing it during our Summer 2008 trip to the area. I think we stayed in Montrose.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:43 AM

I liked it, but Beloved was disappointed.

There are some impressive views of the canyon, but I do not recall being especially taken by the scenery driving to or along the canyon roads.

Let's put it this way: I am enthusiastic about visiting Telluride and driving from Ouray to Durango, but I can't get that excited about the Black Canyon of the Gunnison except that since you are driving from Telluride to Ouray I think it would be a mistake to not take the 2-hour detour to give it a look and decide for yourselves.

HTTY
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM

I agree, not to be missed on your journey. Stark sheer black rock cliffs. Easily seen from your auto. Same with Colorado Nat'l Monument which is entirely different.

Boston Bill
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again all. Will definitely include Bl Canyon in our itinerary. Bill, now you have my curiosity peaked about CO Natl Mon. Will look into that too. Also, thanks for the heads up in your other post about name change for Elder Hostel. I think it's a much more appropriate name.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Black Canyon of the Gunnison is fantastic. We also spent more time than anticipated in Ouray, great restaurant, nice waterfalls and peaceful town.