Is the Big Texan Steakhouse worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family will be staying in Amarillo 2 nights (on night 2 we'll see the Texas musical and go to the BBQ beforehand). We're thinking of dining the first night at Big Texan Steakhouse? Is the food any good? Any other restaurants you can recommend? Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

anyone Texas Panhandle people out there?
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

oops! delete the "one" from "anyone"
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 08:12 AM
OliveOyl

Isn't that the steakhouse with the challenge...eat the 4 1/2 lb steak in an hour and it's free?? It's famous, if nothing more. Never have eaten there, and it doesn't sound as if many here have heard of it.

I answered for one reason only...I'm really envious of your getting to see "Texas"! Hope you enjoy even a fraction as much as I think I would--it's something I've always wanted to do. Our son went to school in Lubbock, but the play was only on in the summer so we never got to see it. Did get out to the Palo Duro Canyon though, and that in itself is beautiful. Have a good trip and go for the 72 ozer!

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 08:36 AM

I've always wanted to eat at the Big Texan Steakhouse, but my colon keeps vetoing my decision.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:34 PM

We drive through Amarillo every time we go to visit relatives and have always wanted to stop at the Big Texan.
A couple years ago my sister and her daughter and grandson finally did. They didn't remark about the food or the value, good or bad, what they loved was the entertainment.
When someone decides to take on the challenge of the 72oz. steak dinner (you must eat the ENTIRE dinner in the hour, including the texas-size potato and the bread and salad, etc.) they announce it and place the person at their own table on a little stage under a spotlight. Everybody in the place cheers them on to finish the entire thing, and no wonder since if they don't finish it they must pay for it -- last we checked it was $72.
My sis said it was a hoot and more fun than a circus. We decided to stop there the next week on our trip thru, but arrived to discover more than an hour and a half wait for a table. (billboards for miles and miles along the interstate inviting us to stop for dinner, then when we get there they ask if we had a reservation!)
The Big Texan has a website, and if i remember correctly you can order the 72oz dinner online for shipment direct to your home, it you'd like to challange yourself or your friends.