Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Do I have time to visit Kings Cyn, should I visit Kings Cyn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have only 3 nights to visit the Uluru/Kings Canyon area near the end of November. I arrive at 10 am at the Alice Springs airport and tought I'd drive to Kings Canyon, get there by 3 pm, and exlore the area that afternoon. Next morning, I thought I'd do the walk in/around Kings Canyon, then when finished, drive to Uluru. Figure I'd arrive Uluru area around 3 pm, and explore Uluru in afternoon, and next day visit Uluru area again, and around 1 pm, head back to Alice Springs. So, that's one night in Kings Canyon, one night at Uluru, and one night in Alice Springs, and obviously, a lot of driving in between. Or, should I delete the visit to Kings Canyon and spend two nights at Uluru area? Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I know one lady who took three months to see this area and another who did it in less than a day (she flew). It is doable but of course what you get out of it is relative to the time you put in.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's a hard one, swdke. One thing to keep in mind is that in November, it will be hot in the middle of the day in Central Australia, and I think you've done that with your timing of walks early in the mornings.

Personally, I like your o'night in Kings Canyon idea. It would give you a sunset and sunrise at Uluru, as well as the Kings Canyon experience. If the weather's not ideal, so be it. And that's the risk if your focus is heavily geared towards Uluru. I think the overall opportunity of spreading your experience over a wider area, taking in Kings Canyon, The Olgas, and the areas between Alice Springs & Uluru outweigh the risk of not seeing "The Rock" in ideal conditions.

When you arrive at Uluru, may I suggest you make your first port of call the Cultural Centre - and allow an hour at least to wander through it. It's an absolute treasure trove of information and will allow you so much more insight into the area than you may otherwise have.

It's about 450kms back to Alice Springs and it'll take you about 5 1/2 - 6 hours .... just make sure you're not doing it at dusk. Those "cute" kangaroos aren't the best mascots for rental cars.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Personally, I don't think it's comfortably doable.

There is quite a lot to see and do at Uluru - I expect you'll want to do a walk around the rock or take advantage of a free Ranger guided walk. As Bokhara said you should visit the cultural centre.

Don't forget you also have Kata Tjuta to explore - the Valley of the Winds walk is well worth doing but will take a few hours.

Kings Canyon is one of my top 3 favourite places on the planet - I think it's magical. The canyon walk will take a few hours and I'm not sure how you'll feel after it. Too tired to drive???

It's a tough call and even though I love KC I'd say make the most of Uluru - it's a very spiritual place!!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM

It'd doable but it's a lot of driving. Have you considered joining a tour? There are plenty of these that do a 3-day round trip from Alice.

Or, better, take an off-road trip via the Mereenie Loop. Google turned up this one, for example:
http://www.adventuretours.com.au/4-d...d-centre-tour/
which will give you the idea.