Search

uluru 3 day trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uluru 3 day trip

here's what happened.
darwin was my goal, but the airlines did not cooperate.
i am now able to tack on to the port douglas work trip a 3 day visit in and out of ayers rock airport. for free (using airline miles)
i know: it's too expensive there.
i know: it's too long to stay there.

i don't know: how to fill three days. all suggestions (especially wallet friendly ones) welcome. i am fit and love to hike.

is kings canyon a day trip, or an overnight trip? is there a day drive ex uluru on bitumen that is worthwhile?

shall i save the miles and fork it out to go to darwin even if i basically arrive late saturday and depart crack of dawn wednesday (maddening time schedules/flight availability). thanks very, very, very much.

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Within the Ayers Rock area is the rock and the Olgas - these are basically all you can see on bitumen. Kings Canyon is roughly 2 1/2 hours drive from Yulara. You could do it on a day trip but you need to allow three hours for the walk around the canyon, so it would be a very long day. It isn't a good idea to drive after dusk as there are animals on the road (camels, cattle, kangeroos).
Can you fly into Yulara (Ayers Rock), then drive to Kings Canyon and from there to Alice Springs and fly out from Alice?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Kerikeri,

We spent 2.5 days and 2 nights at Uluru. We booked the cheapest ensuite accomodation Outback Pioneer ( Basically a nicely designed bunk room for 4 w/ ensuite, but they don't book the other 2 beds)
Thye resort is architecturally interesting w/ lots of solar generation and water collection integrated into the design) Drive out to the rock for sunset. hike around the rock, visit the excellent visitors center, talk to the ladies painting outside the gallery, do the Valley of the Winds walk at Kata Tjuta (aka the Olgas)and lol about in the pure desert air.

I agree w/ Marg's idea of into Ayers Rock and out of Alice. That way you can drive one way and stop off and overnight at Kings Canyon. It took us 3.5 hrs from Kings Canyon to Yulara. The hike at Kings Canyon is spectacular, arduous and best done early AM. If you're driving to or from Alice you can stop at Stuart's Well and see Dinky, the world famous singing and piano playing dingo of Cental AU. He's quite the best roadside attraction in OZ imho.
AndrewDavid

PS I don't think 3 days on the ground is enough time to do justice to the Top End. We had 5 and felt we needed 7 or 8
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks to you both-
it truly ironic that the darwin flights where there is too much to do get you in late at night, whereas the uluru flights leave you plenty of time!
i like the idea of a destination reachable within three hours...even if it is just a one nighter in a new place.

(btw i just looked at my australia picture calndar and uluru is the picture for june...i have always been susceptible to subliminal advertising!)

i tried all sorts of configurations to get in or out of alice, but maybe i'll spend a few more obsessive hours on the qantas and virginblue sites...

thank you again for chiming in...i was certain my headline would make this sink like a stone...
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:17 AM

I'm spending 3 days at Uluru in August, with my dementing, geriatric aunt (it's her 80th!) She may get lost, or taken by a dingo (I'm knitting matinee jacket as we speak!)

Browsing the sites, I'm staggered at the cost. Doing anything at all seems hideously expensive. I guess we'll just grin and go for it.

The aunt wants to ride around the Rock on a Harley.....

There seems to be plenty to do, though. By the time you do the cultural tours, sunrise and sunset stuff, Sounds Of Silence dinner (did you do that, AD?), out to the Olgas, your three days have gone.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Hi Margo,

Is the matinee jacket for your aunt, the dingo or yourself? And what exactly is a matinee jacket?

Should we have been wearing them when we went to Dinky's ( matinee) performance?

We passed on sounds of silence; it seemed too expensive and organized.

I'm glad you are getting out to Uluru ; it was among the highlights of our trip down under ( as well as meeting you and other fodormates).

AndrewDavid