Which Geo Thermal site in Rotorua?

Jun 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Which Geo Thermal site in Rotorua?

http://www.geyserland.co.nz/
Wai-o-Tapu seems to have the best selection/walking around viewing of different kinds of geothermal spots. $18.50

http://www.waimangu.com/
Waimangu Explorer-Waimangu Wanderer Hiking, 50 minute Rotomahana Voyager Boat Cruise, Shuttle Bus Return $50

www.hellsgaterotorua.co.nz

www.nzmaori.co.nz
Te Whakarewarewa

I am most interested in the 1st 2 options just not sure if the boat ride/sites at Waimangu are worth the extra $$$. I can only see the pictures/trail info on the websites. Would like first hand experiences!
Jun 29th, 2004, 01:24 AM

Hi Alise

Of the four locations you mention Hells Gate at Tikitere and Whakarewarewa (Which is in Rotorua itself) are the most Compact and easy walking experiences. Both are good.

When I was growing up in the Bay of Plenty we used to go to Hells gate alot and we enjoyed it. I also remember seeing the kids at Whakarewarewa diving off the bridge for coins.

Whakarewarewa has a resaonably predictable geyser so you will usually get to see it perform. Attached to Whakarewarewa is a carving centre where you can obtain some good Maori art.

Wai o Tapu and Waimangu have better bush settings. Insofar as the walks around the pools and vents are through more bush as opposed to Whakarewarewa where you are wandering through a village and Hells Gate where the trees are more stunted.

A bit of history for you. In the early 20th century there was a geyser at Waimangu that used to erupt to a height of several hundred feet. Very impressive but a bit too much so for four unlucky souls who stood too close once when it went off. This geyser sadly no longer erupts.

I have not done the boat ride but from wht a I hear it is good for getting a look at the side of lake Rotomahana where the lake itself steams and boils.

I would stick with your original thoughts and go for one of the first two. Bearing in mind that Wai o tapu is out of town as well as Waimangu so you will need transport.

Whatever your choice enjoy. Rotorua certainly is I think a unique place.

Steve
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve,

Our time is not limited that day so I don't mind the 3 hours they recommend. We will be renting a car for our entire time on the North Island so transportation is not a concern!

i just want to see the best I can while in the Rotorua area. We also plan a trip to White Island. We do plenty of hiking so the bush is not of any concern either!
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Hi Alise

White Island is a great opportunity to see the unusual insofar as you will be standing on an active volcano.

If you have plenty of time you may wish to consider taking a boat ride out to the island. They leave from Whakatane which is about an hours drive east of Rotorua. It will pay to book ahead. This link lists the providers of transport to the island.

http://www.wi.co.nz/tour.htm#PeeJay%20Tours%20Ltd

Have fun

Steve
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Hi Alise,

My husband and I chose to visit Wai-o-tapu and really enjoyed the variety of mineral pools and mud pools. The hiking trails are very nice and pretty easy to navigate.

We visited Te Whakarewarewa for their Mai Ora cultural evening and feast, and they lit up the geothermal area for us to view - it was quite spectacular.

Lee Ann
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:44 AM

White Island is great.

Take the small boat..they stay out for lunch and a swim/snorkel when PJ's heads back to Whakatane..learn how to pronounce whakatane.
Jun 30th, 2004, 04:07 AM

John

You are being a bit naughty there getting mileage out of (what is to NZ'ers) an old Aussie joke.

Alise

John is alluding to the pronounciation of the first syllable of Whakatane which seems to give no end of amusement to Australians.

Enjoy your stay in New Zealand and especially, if you can make it, the town I grew up in, Whakatane.

Steve
Jun 30th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

So is it WHACK or WHA ?!
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Alise:

They are being somewhat coy with you, depending on which part of the country you are in & who is saying what 'wh' is either as a 'y' or an 'f', and as for Whakatane its an 'f', so its FACK which is why it is such a source of amusement (especially when said by those who are easily embarassed) ...

Z