Alice springs to uluru and back

Sep 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Alice springs to uluru and back

Hi,

I am going to Alice Springs and Ayers Rock for 6 days. There are 7 of us travelling and I have hired a Tarago - seems to be the only hire vehicle that will fit us all in!! Hence will not be able to go off road or drive on unsealed roads.

We will be flying into Alice Springs and spending 1 night there. We arrive at 1pm. The next morning we will be driving to Uluru and staying there for 3 nights.

Then driving back to Alice Springs staying there for 2 nights before flying home (flight leaves at 2pm).

Flights and accommodation have been booked as well as the hire car - no unsealed roads..

Below is my suggested itinerary but would appreciate feedback as well as any detours/stops on the way to Uluru and back to Alice as well as things to do in Alice Springs

I also want to try and fit in a visit to Kings Canyon...

Day 1 (Alice Springs)
Arrive Alice Springs and check into Hotel.
Afternoon at Alice Springs Desert Part
Sounds of Starlight show

Day 2 (Uluru)
Leave Alice Springs for Uluru
Sounds of silence dinner

Day 3 (Uluru)
Sunrise at Uluru
Uluru/Olgas

Day 4 (Uluru)
Kings Canyon

Day 5 (Alice Springs)
Sunrise Olgas
Drive back to Alice springs

Day 6 (Alice Springs)

Day 7 (Home) -

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
Sep 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM

The distance between Uluru and Kings Canyon is about 300 km. I've done the drive and I wouldn't want to do it as a day trip from Uluru. If you can re-book your accomodations and you want to visit Kings Canyon, then I would recommend spending 2 nights at Uluru and 1 night at Kings Canyon. On Day 4, you can see sunrise at the Olgas then drive to Kings Canyon, do the Canyon Rim hike, spend the night and then continue to Alice Springs on Day 5 which is nearly a 500 km drive on the sealed roads.
Sep 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I think you may be right the more I think about it and investigate. I am going to try and change the accommodation tomorrow.

Still looking for more advice about stops along the way to and from Uluru as well as getting the most from my time in Alice Springs..
Sep 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM

You seeme to have covered most of the bases. We did a similar trip by campervan last year and loved it. A link to our blog with more info on the siights etc.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...0060/tpod.html

I agree with the previous poster re the Kings Canyon rim hike - spectacular (start early for the best light and temperature). Also a hike around the base of Ulhuru is well worth the effort as is the longer hike through Kaja Juta (which I actually preferred to Ulhuru (take a scarf or head net to ward off the flies!)

As I recall, the drive between Alice and Ulhuru is pretty uneventful, long straight road. There is another monolith which we thought was Ulhuru, along the way but I am not sure whether

As for Alice Springs, we did not find a great deal there but as we were only there for a night at each end of our trip we really only looked for restarants to eat (of which there are many decent ones)
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM

I like longhorn55's suggestion - two nights at Uluru, one night Kings Canyon. Dont miss the Valley of the Winds walk at the Olgas, the best one in my opinion, really cool.

Agree, very little to stop for en route to Uluru on the sealed road, but I found it a pleasant experience nonetheless, being a lover of wide open empty spaces and distant vistas. The monolithic feature that crellston mentioned is Mt Connor, a mesa like formation you'll spot when you're about hour away from Uluru. There are tours to Mt Connor, but I doubt you'll have time for it.

For your day in Alice, I'd suggest a drive west into the West MacDonnell ranges - visit Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm and the awesome Ormiston Gorge.

Ralph, CT, USA
Sep 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM

Is Jim's Place in Stuarts Well still open? (Seeing Dinky the famous singing and piano playing dingo would be worth the ride.) If not, are they living in Alice Springs and making any public appearances?