Reload this Page >

Hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon,

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:13 AM
nina

is it all that? We have reservations at El Tovar in April for my husband, me and our 2 sons, who are 10 and 13. My husband has now informed me that he wants to hike to the bottom of the canyon and camp (there are no rooms at the lodge at the bottom). So now we would have to rent camping gear, at considerable cost, and hike down with it. That's a lot of effort and I'm wondering if it's worth it, or even if it's possible with kids those ages. Can anyone give me some advice?

I'm thinking you might get the same experience hiking half way down and back, then spending the night at El Tovar. It would certainly be easier. Just want to know if going to the bottom is really worth it. Thanks.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Sj

I haven't done it myself but a friend (late 40's female) went down a couple years ago and twice this past summer.

Hope you realize how difficult it is.

She trained and trained getting in shape before (and already was in great shape). It takes a whole day to go down and a whole day to come back up, from what I understand.

At some points, you are walking so close to the edge that all you can do is watch your feet and watch every placement of your foot.

Just be sure your family is "up" to this. Not sure if children that young can do this. From what I've heard, you are on the "edge of the cliff". Pretty scary, I would think.

If you get down, and cannot make it back up (physically/mentally)... it's big bucks for a mule to come and rescue you and thousands for a helicopter.

I'm sure others with experience will respond.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:32 AM
nina

Thanks SJ. That's what I thought. I'm in good shape already hiking, biking and walking, but not in good as shape as my husband, who is a competitive biathlete. And I really think the equipment plus trying to deal with the kids would make for a less than enjoyable experience, at least for me. Maybe I should send my husband by himself? ;>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Sj

Hey - now there's an idea !

Another thought - if you can afford it, is to take the mule ride down. Check about it on the national park website about age/weight restrictions, etc.

Also - it has to be reserved NOW. Books up very very far in advance.

Your husband is right though that it is a totally different and more amazing experience to go to the bottom. Our little minds just cannot fathom the size of it looking from the top.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:14 AM
joe

I actually think that the view from the rim is far superior to that from the bottom of the canyon. From the Phantom Ranch Campground you can't see much of anything except the sheer walls of the river canyon.
The trail is very wide in my opinion and you only get close to the edge when yielding the inside track to mules.
The trip down,while easy on the lungs and heart is tough on the feet and knees.No amount of roadwork can really prepare you for that much laden decent.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:15 AM
OliveOyl

We've never gone to the bottom, but have gone as far as Indian Gardens which is probably close to 2/3 of the way down. It's beautiful, and gives an entirely different perspective than the view from the rim. A day's hike is better than none at all.

I wouldn't worry at all about the footing and being on the edge of a cliff. The Bright Angel trail really isn't bad in the least. The last time we did it (a couple of Thanksgivings ago) the top even had some ice on it, but was just fine. Make sure you all have good hiking boots.

We were considering it again for this Thanksgiving, going with both our kids (28 and 30), but I have concerns about one of them making it (!) as he had a tough time on our last venture for some reason. Our daughter and s-i-l live in Phoenix and have done it twice this year, camping at the bottom both times. They were the impetus behind the thought to do it again at Thanksgiving. It'd be 5 of us going, he and our daughter were willing to carry heavier packs, leaving the remaining 3 of us with about 25 lb packs he estimated. We'd be carrying more than you though...extra tents, and warmer clothing and sleeping bags. I started having second thoughts about the packs.

You sound as if you are in good shape Nina, and I'm sure you could do it. Our plan, if we'd gone, was to hike to Indian Gardens and set up camp there, hike to the bottom and back to Indian Gardens the next day and spend that night camped as well, then hike out the following day. I'd love to have done it...just don't know why our son had such a tough time and would hate to risk it happening again!

One of my friends here and her husband, both in their mid 40's just hiked down to Observation Point and back in about 8 hours. Both are in pretty good shape and she said they were at a partial trot going down. gt; Your competitive spirit kicks in once you get started on these ventures! gt; You'll have to put reins on your husband.

The upper portions of Bright Angel are the steeper sections, and you'll do those no matter what length hike you do. Our s-i-l says there's a smaller canyon you hike through once below Observation Point, which is his favorite and what he considers the most picturesque section of the entire Canyon hike. I WILL do this one day!

Have fun. It'll be a terrific trip no matter how far down you make it. We just don't know what we are missing by not having made it all the way, but know what I did see was worth every bit of effort it took and then some. It's beautiful and you'll emerge with a real sense of accomplishment.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:25 AM
VERA

Why not take the mules down. The kids would probably enjoy that and then you can see the bottom of the grand canyon.

If you are going to camp at the bottom, get your reservation request in early.
There are not that many campsites down there.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:32 AM
suzanne

Though I'm sure you and your husband could handle it, I'm not so sure about the kids. It's 19 miles round-trip! Do you think your boys could handle that even on flat land? What about on steep land, carrying things, in 90-degree heat?

You could hike part of the way down the Bright Angel Trail, say to Indian Gardens, a flat area full of cacti, but even that is difficult (8 miles round trip). For a shorter trip. just make it as far as one of the litle rest areas along the way. There's one about every mile for the first few miles...and they have some benches and water fountains. It IS worth it just to go down a mile or two...you really feel like you're IN the canyon.

If your husband really wants to go to the bottom, I say let him go on his own (it sounds like it's a dream/goal of his). He'll have to get a backcountry permit, though, to stay overnight.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 09:06 AM
OliveOyl

Here's a terrific website that describes the Bright Angel trail well (I never knew there were petroglyphs) and giving elevations and distances, including pit stops. Wish I'd had this when we hiked it last. http://www.kaibab.org/bc/gc_tr_ba.htm

According to this website, Indian Gardens is just half way, not 2/3, so now I've definitely been challenged to go back! Sorry too, I kept referring to Observation Point, rather than Plateau Point...Observation Point was in Zion. Sheesh...CRS creeping in.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 09:29 AM
nina

Thanks for all the input. I'll look into all of this. We can't put in for camping reservations until 4 months ahead, so we have to wait a few months.

I think my kids could make it, but I don't think I could stand the whining that would no doubt ensue!

Olive we'll try for Indian Gardens and let my husband go on ahead if he really wants to. We'll be thinking of him camping while we're eating dinner in the El Tovar dining room!

Thanks again. This trip is looking like it's requiring more planning than any other that we've taken, even Europe, but it's fun. It isn't 90 degrees in April is it?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 09:57 AM
nina

Just made reservations for the one day mule trip! They had openings. Now my youngest son only has to grow another inch before April. Know where I can get lifts for his shoes?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Sj

YES - it can be 90+ degrees in April (at the bottom of the canyon - not at the top). And COLD nights.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Carol

Hiking Grand Canyon is SERIOUS business. I hiked 3 hours down, S. Kaibab Tr. in May and made it back up in 4 hours which is pretty good. Usually the # of hours hiked down you double in figuring how long the hike back up will be. Get the book "Over The Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon". It is fascinating reading about the 500+ recorded deaths and the stupid things people do. GC is not Disney World! The experience was magnificent

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:07 PM
nina

Carol, Im not quite sure what you're implying with your statement that the GC isn't Disneyworld. I certainly hope not. Do you mean that it isn't a place for kids?

At any rate we're experienced and avid hikers, and so are our kids. I don't think anyone here was saying that it wasn't serious.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Carol

Most people are quite surprized when visiting GC, there are no guard rails, there is no water on the S. Kaibab trail, the heat is intense, the cold is intense, the climb back up is gruelling. Rescue, like another reader said, is expensive and very serious. With safety being guarenteed almost every place we go, this is one place that it isn't. No insult intended toward you or your kids.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:24 PM
nina

Oh. Do you know which trails do have water, or a website which has this info? Or possibly a site which describes the trails in terms of difficulty, length, etc.? I imagine you can get this info when you arrive, but I'm trying to plan our hikes ahead of time. Thanks.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Carol

Start with Grand Canyon Association, all kinds of info.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:41 PM
OliveOyl

Congrats on getting the mules Nina! That's terrific and it'll be a great experience!

The web site I gave shows where water and bathrooms are available for Bright Angel, also distances from point to point. S Kaibab doesn't have water I don't believe, and it has no shade whereas Bright Angel does. It seems that I've heard S Kaibab is more difficult...steeper, so that if you do a loop, you go down Kaibab and up Bright Angel.

Do a google search for other sites. There's hardly a thing that you can't fully research on the net now.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:49 PM
nina

Thanks Carol and Olive for all the great info. I like the idea of doing a loop trail.

Now if I could just find a way to get that kid to grow faster...

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:05 PM
OO

I was wondering about that...can't remember now how much our kids were growing at that age! It sounds like it might be tight? There's a weight restriction on the mules too. 200, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if they allow you to strip before you get on the scale. jk Are you the same Nina I was talking about Newport with by any chance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -