Serendipity

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:35 AM
joe

Serendipity

I'd like to eat here when I visit NY (for the frozen chocolate!).

Is it worth the trip?

joe

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:57 AM
J

I've been dragged there twice by out-of-town guests. I don't think it's worth a special trip. If you're nearby for other reasons, sure, stop in and spend too much on a chocolate milkshake gussied up. But, speaking as someone who loves chocolate desserts, it's not worth it.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Flynn

Serendipity has been around for years and is a very cute place. Definitely go for a frozen hot chocolate or other delicious dessert.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 09:11 AM
me

there's a big thread about this if you do a text search = )

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Janet

I made a special trip and thought the hot fudge sundae was one of the better ones I've ever had.
The building is nothing special at all.
I thought the ice cream sundae itself was memorable.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 09:25 AM
suzanne

I've been there several times (off-peak times) but have never been able to get in. Be prepared for an hour or more wait.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 10:04 AM
angela

Definitely not worth the trip. Suzanne is right about the wait. Service is not good. Don't waste your time.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
NYGirl

We go there all the time, it is a nice spot for tea in the afternoon. There are always crowds on weekends, try to go mid week or not around 7pm. They do have good things on the menu for dinners or lunch and the desserts are all good, my favorite is the hot fudge sundae! But you really will have to share, they are waaay too big for one! My kids used to share the banana split
I think it is worth the trip, it has a long fun history, the downstairs is still our favorite part.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Statia

I agree that it's a long wait in a confined area. However, we went this past summer for lunch and, of course, dessert (it was on our itinerary). We felt it was all worthwhile. The desserts, especially.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Carol

Many (many many) years ago when I was single in New York, I went to Serendipity and discovered their chutneyl-sourcream omlet, which I still make because it is so easy and so delicious with the odd combination of flavors and textures. Do they still serve it?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:39 AM
HigherEd

My mom and I had lunch at Serendipity back in the spring. The food is a bit overpriced but it's a cute little eatery. If you're at all curious, go for it!