Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is the Big Island's Kona Seaside Hotel really that awful?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband I and want so badly to travel to the big island this August for our anniversary. Airfare from Denver is around $900 right now, which we think is just too much. However, we have found some packages out there that include air and hotel at the Kona Seaside. Although I feel we could get a much better value and nicer place to stay by renting a condo, buying the airfare alone is just too much. Most of the reviews I've read on the Kona Seaside are bad, so we've pretty much ruled it out. Just wondering if it's really that awful??? We don't need anything fancy, but we do want something safe and clean. Thanks for any input.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:09 AM
stjohnbound

Sorry, I can't comment on the hotel but I can tell you that you can get a much better deal for airfare. I just did an arbitrary search of dates in August and came up with a Delta flight for under $500. Try Travelocity.com or one of the other travel sites. In my opinion, you can usually get much better deals by booking flights and hotels yourself instead of a package. Good luck!!

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is completely second hand info from strangers, but the couple lounging poolside at my hotel in Waikiki last month, said that's where they always stayed and recommended it.

For what it's worth the place we were at was kind of 'funky' 2-star-ish but functional, clean & I like it alot (~$100/night).

I only remember this because his recommendation was strong enough I jotted "Kona Seaside" in my travel notebook.

As an aside I gave only $329 RT Seattle/Honolulu last month so $900 does seem an awful lot just for airfare.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I've stayed at the Kona Seaside and thought it was fine. "Funky 2* ish" sounds like a perfect description. It was clean, the help were very pleasant and we had a great breakfast that came with the room. It is on Ali'i drive and you can walk to all the shops.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM

It is clean and safe.

It is also very noisy, and the rooms are out of the seventies with little upgrading done since then.
The rooms have big windows that open onto the hallway, so you hear every sound when people walk by or when the large groups staying there congregate outside. It is a popular hotel for high school sports teams and reunions.

Even knowing this, I'll stay here when I'm going to BI for business, as it is very cheap and centrally located.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM

I stayed at the Seaside in March. I have no complaints. The rooms were dated but the place was clean. We had a room overlooking the pool so I didn't find it noisy at all. The room had a fridge to keep the drinks cold.
I enjoyed sitting on the patio overlooking Ali'i drive and watch the sunset.
This is not a 4 star hotel but I would stay there again.