Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it true that the rental car shuttles from San Fran International to car lots costs $12 per person?

Search

Is it true that the rental car shuttles from San Fran International to car lots costs $12 per person?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Randy

I haven't flown into SFO in a few years but for the first time, airfare to SFO was cheaper by $500 than Oakland. Is it true that the 1 mile ride on the shuttle bus to all the major car rental firms now costs $12 per person?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:36 PM
J

If it does, it's new as of the last time I did it in March.

Can the rental company help you out with info?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:37 PM
DD

Not true.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Willie Brown

I think it went up to $15 sometime in the spring.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Michael

Not true. Major agencies have been all placed in one location to which there is a free shuttle, the monorail will stop there once it gets going.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:18 PM
John

Randy:

You are probably mistaking the Vans to the city ($12). The rental shuttle busses are free and a pain in the A--!!
Cannot wait for that Monorail service in the year 2020!! Ha!
JOHN

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Mary

Now I am confused. This was reported in USA Today.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Steve

Totally untrue. Flew into SFO less than three weeks ago and took the shuttle to the car rental center. It was definitely free. Monorail is under construction.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:28 PM
John

It is absolutely true. A $12 charge called a "Transportation Fee" is added per rental (regardless of the rental length) and is to cover use of transportation to rental location, use of airport facilities etc. Totally ridiculous but absolutely true. For those doubting it, go to the website of any major rental car firm and make a reservation. You'll see the $12 charge in the summary of taxes before you have to finalize the reservation.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Dan

If true, John, it's no different than the obscene taxes at rental car locations nationwide. Ever rented in Phoenix? Taxes/fees double the price of the rental (I don't mind paying a little for a new stadium for the sucky Cardinals but the rate is outrageous.)

Also, Randy asked if it is $12 per person. If it's a rental tax/fee, then no, it's per rental. One time, whether one day or twenty. Right?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Neil

Just made a reservation from Hertz. Here's the total tax recap:

PER RENTAL Tax:8.25%

Transportation fee for using common busing12.00USD

So, 8.25% + a one time fee of $12. Actually, that's CHEAP compared to many other cities who, as a previous poster said, use car rentals to subsidize schools, athletic arenas, etc.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Dan

The very worst city for extra rental car charges is Boston. That's why I now fly into Manchester, NH.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Randy

Thanks for the replies on this topic. I pulled my Hertz agreement and sure enough, there's the $12 charge. I also had someone outside of Fodor's show me the story from last week's Friday USA Today. USA Today ranks this charge as one of the top 10 travel rip-offs in the country.

By the way, the worst city for rental car agreement add-ons is actually Minneapolis. They now have a total of 33% in taxes, stadium fees, etc. UGH!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:15 AM
jpm

It's True!

Just pulled out the rental agreement from Hertz on a car I rented three weeks ago. Sure enough, there was a $12 transportation fee on it.

The car rental was $18 for the day. After taxes I payed $43!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Dan

Just a note: if you don't use the shuttle, they may take the fee off for you. I rented in New Orleans a few weeks ago and a friend dropped me off at the airport's car rental location. I told them this and they waived the shuttle fee, which is MUCH less than $12.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:12 AM
ok

So, I have to ask this question. Suppose you took the shuttle to the rental place. And suppose you walked up to the counter and told them that you got a ride from a friend and didn't use the shuttle. Would that work for skirting the fee?

I'm not saying anyone would do such a thing. Just suppose.