Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to get cheap last minute airfare for this weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:29 PM
roxanne

I've never tried this before, but do airlines reduce the rate at the last minute to fill up the plane? We're trying to go to DC before a job switch. We tried hotwire and got $264 but they don't give times and we have a one yr old and she can't handle a long layover or two. Anyone have any ideas?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Mel

Try smarterliving.com. They compile (and email, if you request it) a weekly list of internet fares reduced for the coming weekend. You can search for deals from the airport closest to you. Click on the <Air> button at the top, then on the next page you'll see a drop down menu on left titled <Last-Minute Fares>. Good luck.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:41 PM
grasshopper

try www.ual.com and look at efares.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Mel

Forgot to mention it is a list based on offerings from the major carriers - Southwest, for example, is not included.

Also, these deals tend to get taken pretty fast (they're generally published on Wednesday mornings) and you have to fly on specific days/times in order to get that fare.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Liz

www.digitalcity.com
is another place to look.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:57 PM
roxane

Thank you for your prompt replies. No luck yet

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:04 AM
FrugalFred

Watch for flights to Baltimore - Washington International (BWI) too. It's only about 30 mi from DC and can be reached by public transportation.

Mel's suggestion about Smarter Living is good, and it DOES list Southwest Airlines too.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:20 AM
herewegooooo

try www.continental.com and www.delta.com for last minute specials also! They always have weekend webfares.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:25 AM
lawren

try www.skyauction.com. They have a section for "last minute" flights on major airlines.

L

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:28 AM
x

Find out who the biggest carriers out of your local airports are and then check their individual websites for last minute fares and web specials.

American Airlines is one of the largest out of my area. It provides great online last minute airfares under the NetSAAver and Special Offers section. I got a last minute ticket from SFO to JFK for $200 last weekend. Hopefully you'll be able to find something good. Good luck!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Gretchen

I don't know where you are flying from but my USAir e-savers this week-end were almost endless--as in NO one is flying this week-end. As for Hotwire or Priceline you probably won't have long layovers--just maybe an early or late departure/arrival. I think those are the only ones that can do something this late--maybe skyauction too.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:08 AM
x

ditto on USAir....couldn`t believe all deals....some $148.....good deals galore

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Bill

If you live in a city served by USAirways check out their website, USAirways.com. There are great E-Savers on there this weekend and they have been extended through Wednesday!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Pittsburgher

I'm guessing you're in New Orleans . .. check out Site 59 -- they offer lots of last-minute packages for weekends from/to major cities. Delta also has a web-special fare on their website. Good luck!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:09 PM
cece

Go to Orbitz and click on "Last Minute Deals." Also, check on www.americawest.com.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:48 PM
roxanne

Thanks SO MUCH. Everyone had great ideas, but unfortunately nothing from New Orleans to Washington. They really have some great deals out there, and I've got good info for later. Thanks again.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Susan

Roxanne, go to travelocity.com and click on the "deals/last minute" link at the top. I just tried it and got a number of last minute deals from New Orleans to WDC. Good luck!