Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is a 36 minute connection with UA at SFO doable?

Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Just rec'd a flight time change which has us landing in SFO 36 minutes before our connecting flight to LIH takes off. I'm thinking that this is not possible even if our flight arriving from ORD is on time or early. Also, the luggage... might have to just carry on.

We are flying on miles so I am somewhat limited w/ jumping on an earlier flight out of ORD.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:48 AM

Are you flying United on the first leg? It's not a lot of time that's for sure and United has their own concourse and depending on where you come in, it could be a long walk. I did find by accident that the United Domestic is, I THINK, fairly close to the International terminal. I came back from Paris and had a domestic United flight home to Reno and when I came out of customs, I was right there. So, I really don't know what to tell you, and of course if your flight is late...well..we just won't go there. If you are on United you could perhaps check your luggage all the way through to LH. Good luck.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks crefloors, yes all legs are UA, and I'm counting on a mad dash, but I also have my 64 year old mom with me, and I am concerned about this. To make matters even more complicated, we are meeting my 58 year old aunt in SFO for the Lihue flight. All tickets are for first class booked w/ air miles. Aaaarrrhhhh... not a whole lot of flexibility here. I'm hoping things will change in my favor the closer we get. We were all hoping to enjoy that first class flight to Lihue together... I have a sneaking suspicion that UA will re-route my mom & I through HNL on a later flight.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:57 AM

I think the shortest "legal" connection is 45 mins - airlines are not suppose to book anything shorter than this. If this is all United, they should be able to re-book you even though it's a FF ticket. Give it a try - it can't hurt.

Isn't ORD famous for late take offs??

I don't know where LIH is, but the domestic & international terminals are in two seperate buildings, and they are not adjacent to each other.

Stu Dudley
Apr 23rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Stu, when I called UA they said it was legal!?! The earlier flight out of ORD requires 20,000 more miles per ticket (for what reason, I don't know as we are booked in 1st cl).

ORD is hit or miss... summertime is def better than Jan/Feb!

BTW, LIH is Lihue, Kauai, all domestic.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Just called UA back questioning the "legal" connection, and was changed to the earlier flight out of ORD. Had to forgo first class for business class, but well worth it to make the connect!

Kauai, here we come!
Apr 24th, 2005, 06:11 AM
GP

Hi makai1

Glad things worked out. I wanted to answer your orginal question for others who may read this thread. I connect alot on United through SFO (50 or more times). I usually come in on United at the commuter termial which adds additional time. IF your flight is on time, my experience is, if you hurry you need 30 minutes to make a conection.

Have Fun
GP