Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What is a flight thats operated by a different airline?

Jan 8th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

I'm considering booking a flight from United, however it says it's operated by US Airways. I'm assuming this means that I'm flying on US Airways, but just booking it through United. How do these flights work? Do I actually check in with United but then fly on US Airways? And also, if US Airways happens to cease operations by the time my flight rolls around, how do you think United would handle this?
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM

A flight that has a United flight number but is operated by US Air is called a codeshare. You'll check in with US Air. In the event that they cease operations, United would be responsible for reaccomodating you on one of their flights or another carrier.
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Jed

Why are you booking with United?

Usually I would say that if it is operated by USAir, it would be better to book with USAir. But thinking it over, if you book through United, and USAir stops, and if United is responsible, you would not lose your ticket.

However, if USAir stops, it is said that other airlines would honor your ticket anyway. I don't know if this is true.
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:42 AM

If you book through United, your contract of carriage is with United, and United is responsible for getting you to your destination. (This issue becomes more complex if you are talking about using United frequent flyer miles to book travel on US Airways and US Airways ceases operations; there's been much discussion about that here)

You will check in with US Airways. Your ticket/itinerary might have United flight numbers, but it will be helpful for you to obtain in advance the actual US Airways flight numbers (which will be different), as you might not find the United flight numbers on monitors, etc., at the airport, automated flight arrival/departure systems, etc.

Also, even if you have a United ticket, you can use US Airways' online check-in if you wish. Your reservation will have two record locator numbers (six alphanumeric characters), one for UA and one for US Airways. You will need the US Airways record locator number for online check in. A United agent should be able to provide you with both numbers.
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Jed:

I don't know why mrg013 is booking this through United, but it might be cheaper to do it this way. On Saturday I'm flying to Vancouver on a flight that I booked through United, on a flight using United flight numbers that is actually Air Canada. Why? Because Air Canada was charging $100 more for the exact same flight!

Ed
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Jed

suranyi - That is most interesting.

Just for fun, I looked for a flight from JFK to Vancouver for next Saturday. United offers a flight leaving at 7:45AM costing $724.14 RT as a code share with Air Canada, which charges $498.39 for the same flights. That is quite a difference!
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Airline pricing is too complicated for you or me to understand. What is known is that codesharing means Airline A buys a block of seats on Airline B to be sold by themselves. The prices Airlines A & B sell on this flight are totally up to each carrier.

Sometimes, different carriers have different FF benefits, on the same flight. For example, AA codeshare with Cathay Pacific on many of CX's Pacific flights. Most of AA's fare will earn AAdvantage or Asiamiles, while only the highest CX fares will earn the same. So, it may be beneficial to some to book on AA, even though CX may be slightly cheaper on the exact same flight. Just an example.

Also, airlines set a certain number of seats on each flight in various "fare class". Some of the lowest fare classes may not be offered for sale at a particular time point, or those seats may have been filled, leaving only the higher classes.
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM

I would most definitely be booking that US Air Flight with United in case something happens. Suppose US Air folds up - then United has to put you on a different flight. But if you have the ticket on US Air, your options are more limited. Yes, in theory, other airlines will honor the US Air ticket but I think it's limited to available seating, so you might not like the options offered to you, particularly if you are starting a vacation.

Andrew
Jan 12th, 2005, 04:59 AM

With NWA & COntinental, I often found it cheaper to book on the on the other airline for codeshare flights.

Keith
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:37 AM
afc

I have tickets for US Air to Florida in February President's week. It happens that about a month ago US Air informed me of changes to my times which included having both my return flights on United. I called United and asked if US Air should fold would they still honor my return and I was told yes. Of course I still have to get there. I am feeling a little more encouraged than I was a couple of weeks ago.