If USAir goes out of business

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happens to people who already bought tickets and people already on a trip without a return flight?
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Do a search here and on US board - while no one knows for sure, consensus seems to be that there is newly re-signed law that requires other carriers to honor ticket for same route for $25 fee, but you fly standby. Your credit card company can help you get reimbursed if it is within 60 days of when you charged flight.

Other than that, your guess is as good as everyone else - but lots of past opinions have been offered here.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 09:15 AM

Remember - ONLY US based airlines are required to offer seats if it becomes necessary.

So, if you are flying NYC-London-NYC, then it should not be a big problem, you will get back reasonably quick, but if your trip is something like Indianapolis-Cracow-Indianapolis, well?.... it may be a different story.

I used the above cities as an example only, I don't know if USAir flies between the cities mentioned.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 11:11 AM

Not "if", but when... 15 January looks like the liquidation date.
M
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 11:29 AM

Other things to keep in mind with the consumer protection law (re: airlines that cease flying):
1. you must book the new flights within 60 days of your airline going out of business,
2. it is for stand-by only, but you may be charged no more than $25 per segment,
3. the rebooked flights must be the exact same routing (can't use alternate, nearby airports, e.g. if original was JFK, can't use LGA for rebooking),
4. frequent flyer tickets are NOT covered by this law. There is no obligation for any airline to honor the FF tickets though some may do so for PR points.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:28 PM

Do yourself a big favor - do not fly US Air. The aggravation is more then most people can stand. I just got back from a trip using US Air. It was miserable.
My luggage was lost. Do what you can do exchange the ticket now.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:57 AM

We had tickets for R/T to Florida when hurricane Charley hit and had to cancel. All I have is a reservation number, not even the e-tickets. Should I re-ticket now and are paper tickets better?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I have two US AIR FF tickets round trip from PHL to SEATAC for mid May.I'm trying to save a few bucks on an Alaskan cruise.........keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM

In the PHL sunday paper there were ads for employment for US Air. Most service related positions offering health, and 401K plans. What is up with that one? If they are hiring how can they go under this month? We are holding tickets for end of Jan. on U.S airways.