Irvine restaurants recommendations?

Jun 10th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Irvine restaurants recommendations?

Need Irvine, Ca restaurants recommendations?
Looking for restaurants favored by locals, good price and good food.
Jun 10th, 2003, 08:56 PM

The Irvine Spectrum offers a variety of restaurant choices. PF Chang's is a very popular chain choice.
Jun 10th, 2003, 09:44 PM

Work and live here (past 1.5yrs) and Irvine is like your typical large So Cal suburban city...plenty of chain restaurants: California Pizza Kitchen (CPK), Houston's and Ruth's Chris right off the 405 at Jamboree and Michelson; Cheesecake Factory, Yardhouse and some other newer dives (Thaifoon, Maki Maki, Fish Market and plenty others) at the Irvine Spectrum where the 5 and 405 meets. If you like a crowded atmosphere that's lit up Vegas style, then the Spectrum would suit you.

But if you want to get away from the standard, sterile fare, try some of these local restaurants:

Steelhead Brewing Co. -- good beer and grub with a pleasant atmosphere, NOT just a bar, a favorite of locals, located in the UCI marketplace

Pasta Pomodoro -- my own little Italian favorite since they offer simple, fresh dishes at cheap prices; clean and modern, located near Jeffrey and Alton in the Oak Creek area; but it looks like it's part of a large chain up north in your neck of the woods but it's the only one of its kind down here in So Cal for now. For other Italian suggestions, try Prego and Vessia, but they are more expensive.

Bistango--sleek, artsy lunch hotspot in the Atrium Court bldg on MacArthur.

If you're in the mood for something with a mild kick, try Jack Shrimp. OK food but healthy service. Wahoo's nearby attracts a large pseudo surfer crowd.

Now if you're going to treat a client out at Company expense, definitely go for some French food at Chanteclair.

Most locals have rec'd Taiko for Japanese for a while now. Me, I just shoot over to the Japanese market and food court off Bristol in Costa Mesa for a cheap lunch.

For Mexican, there's an El Cholo restaurant that's popular here but I much prefer the original one on Western in LA. Go to a different city for good authentic Mexican food because all you get here is the gringo versions like El Torito (Bar & Grill as well), Baja Fresh, La Salsa, Rubio's, etc.

Hope others can chime in and offer some other suggestions or differing opinions on the recs listed above. Also, don't count out some of the local digs in Costa Mesa nearby. Hope this helps!
Jul 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM

In the middle of Irvine, there is a community called Woodbridge which is built around these two identical manmade lakes. On the north lake, there is a restaurant called Waters, which is located right on the water. It is a peaceful place to have a nice (though, unspectacular) meal and enjoy sheltered Irvine at its best. People walk their dogs around the lake, the sunsets are pretty reliably gorgeous, and you don't get the hassle and hustle of the Spectrum.

And though it is a chain, I have always liked the Mimi's Cafe on Alton. It has been there for 20 years and serves one of the best breakfasts in town.

For Japanese food, Fuji-Kan on Culver is pretty good. It has also been here for over 20 years, so isn't as dressed up as some of the newer offerings. But there food is pretty decent all-around, and is a nice place to unwind.
Jul 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I like the Il Fornaio very much.
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM

The Spectrum is a good place to go. Lots of restaurant choices no matter what your budget. PF Chang's is OK. Somewhat expensive and somewhat authentic Chinese food.
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:22 AM

I'll second PF Chang's, it's awesome. Everytime we go down to the US, we always make sure we eat there at least once. A must try I you go: the Chicken Lettuce Wraps, the Chang's Spicy Chicken and the Mongolian Beef! My mouth is watering already....