Information about Canyon Lake, California

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Vicki

Information about Canyon Lake, California

After reading a posting mentioning Canyon Lake, I decided to drive out there today (My sister lived there years ago and I wanted to see how it looks today).
Anyway, I fell in love with it. I'd love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly about this private community. It certainly is picturesque but there must be a downside???
Thanks so much, I don't want to do anything too rash.
Vicki

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Vicki

(Me again)...Also, would appreciate any information on whether this community within the gates has had good resale compared to San Diego or Orange county. Any Realtors out there?? Thanks, Vicki

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:14 PM
jim

The downside is that you're in Canyon Lake. Expensive houses in virtually no where land. Bad school districts, hot weather and smog. No culture in miles and kind of a redneck area.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Bonnie

Can't recall where I read this but I remember reading that it is suppose to be one of the safest cities in all of America (probably because it is gated) and that the air quality is much better than some of the near by cities. You do pay for this privacy and the niceness compared to other near by areas in Riverside County but compared to S.D. and Orange County...it probably seems like a steal. I don't know anything about the schools the children attend or resale. There aren't schools inside Canyon Lake. Maybe others will know more....??
Bonnie

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:32 AM
xxx

I'm pretty sure the kids attend Lake Elsinore school district, which is not a good thing. So you're pretty much looking at private schools and those aren't the best either. I lived out there for a few years. I didn't have a lot in common with many of my neighbors. I have a professional background, while many of my neighbors were general contractors and liked to party on the weekends. I guess it just shows how much profit there is in home improvement, since these beer swizzling, truck driving contractors were raking in the big bucks (and none of them seemed concerned about schools for their kids).

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Beer Billy

It's beer SWILLING---not "swizzling."

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Monique

I posted about it. We have a friend that lives there. He is a professional type and moved there for the abundance of outdoor activities. I had a blast going there for the fireworks show with my kids a few years back. There are tons or organized activities. The schools are lake elisinore school district but with the influx of money from home developers and new homes coming all the time I expect them to improve rather rapidly. Most people that live in the inland empire move there to find affordable houseing and a slower pace of life and a bit more room for their kids. I think it has an excellant resell value and is indeed a wonderful community. I wish I lived there but sadly the commute for hubby back to the concrete jungle in OC is too far.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:10 AM
x

Where does Monique live? She's always complaining about where she lives. I'd like to know where it is that is such a horrible place in OC.

All the money in the world from developers doesn't have anything to do with a good school district.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Monique

I don't live in OC. I like where I live thanks very much!!!

And yes funding does help school districts. New buildings,property tax revenues,infrastructure and so forth.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:58 AM
teacher

New buildings are not the problem with bad school districts. The best teachers are not going to want to live in Lake Elsinore. Yes, it's a cheaper place to live, but you get what you pay for in low priced housing markets. Believe me when I tell you that development dollars don't normally equate to higher test scores or better education programs.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Vicki

xxx,
Interesting comments....I thank you for your honesty. Canyon Lake certainly didn't strike me as the trucker, beer swilling type. If anything it seemed quite professional with a good mixture of active retirees. My husband and I are both white collar professionals who are in the midst of retiring, yet still very active. Husband is a golfer so this was appealing as well as the lake. I guess you can't judge a book by its cover.

As for schools, this isn't important to me (kids grown) but it would certainly affect the resale I'm sure. I live in Fullerton on 1/2 acre and love it....just that after 18 years, I feel like I'm due for a change of scenery and that area seemed so picturesque and serene. Thanks to all who commented. It is much appreciated. Vicki

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Monique

Teacher interesting comments. Because not that my kids schools are anything to write home about many people move to my area for the schools. King High, Rivera elementary and Earhart Jr High. Anyway guess where lots of our teachers commute from? Lake Elsinore, Murrietta and Temecula. So I guess it is ok for them to liver there but just not send their kids to school there. Interesting.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Amy

Am I too assume by reading these postings that Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake are a step BELOW places like Murietta and Temecula??

We live in San Diego (renting for 4 years) and would love to buy a home in a nice area but can only afford $300,000(....the lousy areas of San Diego). I was considering moving further North/East but now these comments kind of scare me. When we start a family, I'd like to stay home with the baby so we don't want to bite off more than low $300,000ish. (We are both college grad professionals)
Amy

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Monique

I think you just need to look close at where you want to live and what your needs are. Sometimes there is just an elitest attitude on these boards. I lived in a nice area of Carlsbad a few years back. My neighborhood was full of professional, waitresses, contractors, engineers, car salesmen etc. Pretty diverese. It is now considered a very upscale place to live. I doubt all my old neighbors that were not holding ivy league degrees moved. But I bet they look down on my new neighborhood in the inland empire area of Riverside where there is a just a diverse population. Small business owners, professionals, teachers, sales managers for national coporations, engineers etc. Same mix of people. Stay at home moms too. Ignore the elitism and generalizations and find what you can afford and want for you and your family.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 12:20 PM
xxx

Sounds like the neighborhood has changed since I left. It's possible that all of the contractors took a big gain on their houses and moved on to a new area (a pretty typical occurence with contractors). Maybe the area has continued to improve. Hope that's the case. The Canyon Lake area is nice, but just way too remote for my taste after 2 years out there.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Vicki

Thanks again for your remarks. I will have to delve into this more. Perhaps, the community of Canyon Lake might be just a little too "sleepy" for us as well.
I'm spoiled having stores such as Walmart, Costco, banks, groceries stores, great restaurants, doctors etc. within about a 5 minute drive...you want it and you've got it here in North Orange County!! I don't want to get too caught up in the beauty of Canyon Lake without considering the practicalities as well!
Vicki

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Mall

Can't imagine giving up the Brea Mall for shopping at the local Walmart in Lake Elsinore.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:08 AM
XXX

What's all the fuss about this out of the way burb in the Inland Empire?

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Jan

Perhaps you ARE willing to give up the luxuries of the local Malls, restaurants etc. to just take a step back to enjoy a more tranquil life and escape the hussle bussle of a more congested way of life. We did this 4 years ago (different state) and have never regretted it. Jan