Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dinner Cruise on Wahweap Bay or Antelope Canyon and Sunset Crusie - anyone have any info?

Search

Dinner Cruise on Wahweap Bay or Antelope Canyon and Sunset Crusie - anyone have any info?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My Family (myself, husband and two teen sons) are planning a trip thru Zion, Bryce, Page, Grand Canyon, and Las Vegas. While working on our itinerary , I have run into another problem. We are hoping to be in Page on Aug 14, late in the afternoon. I really, really would like to see Antelope Canyon, but after phoning a couple of tour companies this afternoon I am probably going to have to skip it. They both told me that the road going into the antelope is bump and I am having a neck problem right now. I don't know if it will be healed in time (one did suggest a neck brace).

Through reading these posts I stumbled onto an antelope canyon and sunset cruise that leaves at 6:15pm and a dinner cruise of wahweap bay that leaves at 6:00, as an alternative. Does anyone know anything about these, are they worth it. The float trips probably won't fit into our schedule and I'm a little (okay, alot) concerned about the heat on the afternoon float trip.

I was also thinking it would be fun to rent a boat for a couple of hours, but I'm having a hard time finindg anyone that will rent one for a couple of hours. Anyone have any suggestions or info? Thanks

P.S. If this post twice -sorry I'm still fairly new to this
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM
lvk

I don't have any information on the sunset cruises. We will be at Lake Powell in August -- renting a houseboat. During my research, I found that the new Antelope Point Marina will rent boats by the hour, with a 2 hour minimum:
http://tinyurl.com/yos9ry

Good Luck.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Firstly, you've got to go to Antelope Canyon when the sun is high in the sky. Normally between 11AM and 2PM.

And yes, it's a bumpy, dusty road.

That's why they sell Motrin and other medication.

If you're in the area of Page, two sights you should not miss are Horseshoe Bend (requires a 3/4 hot walk) and Antelope Canyon (a bumpy, dusty, 15 minute drive).

Both truly spectacular. No pain, no gain.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Just what I was looking for. The reason I'm looking at the cruise is because I am concerned with how bumpy I've been told Antelope canyon is. I really wanted to see it. The motrin scares me as I have a neck injury right now so I think it's out. No matter how bad I want to see it it's probably not worth wrecking the whole trip.

The float trip would be great, but it doesn't work in to our schedule. The morning is to early - afternoon to hot. It sounds awful but I can't see sitting in a boat in that heat with no shade - I know my family would not enjoy it, no matter how great the scenery is. The family might change their minds about the early one once we get on holiday, but I doubt it.

Ivk: Thanks for the link to the marina. I phoned the Marina and they do rent boats by the hour on a first come first serve basis, but it looks good. The only question I have about this is she asked me what lake? Apparently there is more than one lake in the area, but she wasn't to sure. Any idea about this? I thought it was all Lake Powell? You should have a blast on the houseboat.

Thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM
lvk

myos,

That number you called must be the central reservation # for Forever Houseboats, which runs the Antelope Point concession. They also run concessions on Lake Mead, Mohave and other lakes. So, yes, Lake Powell was the correct answer.

The other marinas on Lake Powell are run by Aramark. I believe the difference is that the Antelope Point Marina is on Navajo land and the Navajo tribe contracts with Forever Houseboats. The others are in the Nat'l Recreation area, and are run by Aramark.

Have a great time. You will be arriving right after we leave.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ivk. That clears it up and gives a few different options of what to do.

Have a great time.