Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If You Are A Smoker Don't Book The Westin Maui!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As of January 2006 there will be no smoking allowed in any Westin hotels. Not even on the lanai in Hawaii. They will have one designated area in all the Westin Hotels were you can smoke and that's it. I heard that there was going to be a huge "cleaning" fee if you are caught smoking in your room.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 02:37 PM

This is great. I hope all hotels follow their example.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Likewise. Smelling stale smoke in a hotel room ranks high on my list of non-favorite things.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Wonderful! I wish they had special hotels just for smokers - like they used to have smoking cars on trains - that way the rest of us know we're safe everywhere else.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Does not appear you'll get much sympathy here...
I agree with everyone else, I HATE the smell.
Last week I had lunch with the Director of Sales and Marketing of a 4 star Dallas hotel that does not allow smoking and she told me that they have millions invested in fabrics and rugs.
Smoking in the rooms does damage that cannot be reversed... no different from dripping bleach.
I even hate 'smoking sections' that are in the path of non-smokers.
Kindo off the hotel subject, but my community just opened an outdoor "Town Square" concept mall. It's beautiful but I noticed that there were a ton of smokers on the sidewalks. Geez, this wonderful upscale mall is going to be the mall of choice for all the smokers who wish they could smoke in indoor malls.
I hope they ban smoking on the private property sidewalks eventually.

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Somewhat unrelated but... for dinner tonight I went to a restaurant where I had to walk through the smoking section to get to the bathroom so I could wash my hands. I HATE that!

How hard would it be to make the section by bathroom non smoking and put the smoking section elsewhere?
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM

This is a Westin-wide policy and I say "Bravo." There's not need for hotels to cater to these addictions and it will be nice to know I don't have to worry about smelly rooms, bars, and pool areas.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Great! Smelling (and smelling like) smoke is the worst!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 02:47 AM

great news!

amwosu-I agree they could think about putting the smoking section elsewhere- outside the restaurant and at least 20 feet from the entrance!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM

Ah, I just love this trend of restricting smokers. My state prohibits smoking in restaurants, apparently adopting the philosophy that "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool." A few towns adopted the policy first. The restaurant owners made a great hue and cry over losing business. Guess what -- there was no drop inbusiness at all. Apparently, either the smokers were able to deal with it, or there were nonsmokers out there who'd been avoiding the places.

It's always a jolt to me when I visit a place that still allows it (eg, Washington DC).

If ALL the Westins are adopting this policy it will certainly open up options in NYC, where until now I believe that the Comfort Inn MIDTOWN was the sole all-nonsmoking hotel.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:12 AM
nkd

Great news.

Anonymous, I like your statement "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool."

I hope Marriott is going to be the next
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:47 AM

I thought it was more like having a farting section...

Pretty funny how a thread that appeared to be 'smoker friendly' and was warning smokers about the Westin policy turned into an anti-smoking thread.

I agree with the anti-smoking lobby. I'm tired of having to choose my clothing for a night out by how easy it is to get the smoke smell out.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Agree with the comment about not allowing smoking right outside the doors of restaurants - then you're forced to walk through the smog to get in.

And some places are moving that way - asking smokers to stay at least 10 feet from the door. (There's a guy who smokes in the building across the street from me - obviously his wife won;t let him smoke indoors becuase they have kids - and he always used to shelter in the entrance puffing away. I've noticed recently he's been moved out to the curb nd of the awning - apparently other residetns were complaining about all the smoke at the front door.)
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would rather a hotel allow people to smoke in their rooms as long as they are designated for "smoking".

My last trip in Hawaii it was quite unpleasant because the hotel had recently changed it's policy and did not allow smoking in rooms, which was new to many guests who return annually. So people gathered in the garden and chairs which were right outside my room (which had only a louvered wall!) for cocktails and cigarettes. This was much more invasive then if they had been allowed to do so in their own rooms and not in public spaces.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Yahoo! That's wonderful news for asthmatics who can't breathe when they get a whiff of cigarette smoke.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:36 PM

OT but try restaurants in Russia, two sections as well:

Smoking, and
Chain smoking

No kidding.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM

A little off subject...I've been all over Google and can't find the answer to this question...how many feet from an entry way of a public building in CA does one have to be to comply with the law?

I live in a smoke-free apartment complex and there is one tenant who stands on the sidewalk right in front of my living room window to smoke. I'd like to be armed with some facts before (kindly) approaching him.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:21 PM

It's likely that detailed regulations like this are local rather than statewide. Try calling your city or town municipal offices' health department, since they'd be in charge of monitoring or enforcement.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll contact someone locally.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM

Trav, if it is a smoke free apartment complex a word with the apartment manager would be a good idea also.