Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

which hotel would you choose Maui Hyatt , Terrace for $1486, 6 nights or Renaisance , terrace $1204?

Search

which hotel would you choose Maui Hyatt , Terrace for $1486, 6 nights or Renaisance , terrace $1204?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:14 AM
tom

My wife and I will be visiting Maui in May 2003. We can not decide whether to stay at Hyatt or Renaissance in Maui. Please help us decide. Do you think we should stay at Hyatt because it is closer into town? If we stay at Renaissance should we get a ocv instead of Terrace room? Is the ocv room just a view is different or setting of the room and bathroom is better than Terrance room. Thanks.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:24 AM
dd

I would do the Hyatt without hesitation. The Hyatt is a much nicer hotel in my opinion. Better atmosphere, much better pool (swim up bar), and I prefer Kaanapali. The Wailea vs Kaanapali will be debated forever. This is the big question you need to answer. Do some searches for this debate and make your decision. Although The Hyatt overall is nicer, you may prefer the Renaissance location.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Kay

I would do the Renaissance without hesitation. The Renaissance is a much nicer hotel in my opinion. Better atmosphere, and I prefer Wailea.

Unless you're under 25 years old and like the feel of overbuilt Miami in Hawaii, I'd avoid Kaanapali. Wailea is much more elegant and relaxed (again, if you're not under 25 years old, though).

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Duane

I have not been to either of these hotels but have read a lot about them as I prepare for a trip next year.

From what I read and heard, both are very nice hotels. The Renaissance rooms are reported to be a little small, but most people liked the hotel. I'm sure they are comparable and each have their pro's and con's.

The problem with your question is you are comparing hotels in two very distinct areas of Maui. Kaanapali is more developed and has more shopping/dining/nightlife options than Wailea. Wailea is much quieter. Depends on what you want. Just because someone is older than 25 doesn't mean he or she wouldn't like the Kaanapali area.

I would suggest read some of the reveiws on the hotels on Fodor's and then decide what type of environment you would like to stay in. As for the category of room, depends on how important a view is to you. If money is a factor, then you may be able to book the terrace room and get an upgrade occupancy of the hotel. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:13 AM
dakine

Wailea is more secluded but Kihei, right next to Wailea is very busy and filled with restaurants and other town stuff-not quite as big as Lahaina but almost. Kaanapali does remind me os Miami beach (built up endless string of hotels) but if you like very long beach walks Kaanapali beach is the place to stay. Kaanapali beach is about 7 miles or so long. The beaches around Wailea are more like coves with rocky areas in between averaging from just a couple hundred yards to about 1 mile at longest. But they are much more beautiful. If you like to be around a lot of people stay in Kaanapali. If not stay in Wailea. Either way you cannot lose so don't stress too much about it. Ocean view rooms are ocean view-you can see hear and smell the ocean-the layout is pretty much the same. If it's worth the money go ahead.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:22 AM
dd

Here are overhead pictures of the 2 resorts. If you like pool area Hyatt is great and Renaissance is not much different then a back yard pool.
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrhyatt.html

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrrenaissance.html

Check out this web site it is great. Also the hyatt is at the end of Kaanapali so it is not as crowded as hotels like the Westin that is next to whalers village.
http://hometown.aol.com/derm1/index.html

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
ann

it's been 10 years since I stayed at Hyatt Maui, so I can't comment on room conditions, but then it was absolutely lovely, with wonderful landscaping, pools, great rooms and a nice location on Kaanapali . I'd stay there again, given the choice...

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:13 PM
barry

Tom, if you're a partier and want to be close to the party loving Lahina, stay in Kaanapali. If you are looking for laid back beauty, stay in Wailea. I personally would choose Wailea. I would go with the Renn and the lowest grade room, because the Renn. likes to trade up at check in. By reserving the mtn. view, at best you may be able to get a free upgrade, and at worst you can pay for an upgrade. We're staying at the Renn. this Jan. for 9 ni. ($180. mtn. view) I don't really care about the view because being from the east coast and 5 hrs. ahead, staying in Hawaii is the only time I am a early riser! I get up around 6am (11am eastern) and don't usually hang out at the room til after dinner, when it's dark and you can't see the ocean anyway! The Hyatt is a better hotel, but Wailea is waaay nicer! There are quite a few rest. choices in Waliea at the hotels as well as at the shops at Wailea, and many more affordable choices in Kehei. Get the book Maui Revealed for a great insight on choices. Good luck!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Mavis

Wow, those prices seem quite high to me. Have you considered that you could rent a 5 star/Gold Crown condo on the water with a full ocean view for less? We've gone this route the past couple of years and don't see ever staying in a hotel in Hawaii again. They afford more roominess, larger private lanai, great swimming pools, weight rooms, etc. They're VERY nice. Just something to think about...Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:26 AM
tom

ttt

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:56 AM
zzzz

Have you considered bidding with Priceline for the hotel stay? You can usually get the Hyatt for $140.00 per night. You can get more info from www.biddingfortravel.com. That site has saved me thousands = )

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:04 AM
brenda

If I had to choose between those two resorts, I would choose the Hyatt. The reason why is beacause the pool is real nice at the Hyatt. They have a 50 ft. waterslide there. I walked by the Renaissance, and the pool looked very small for a resort. I like the Wailea area better because it is more laid back with nice resturants and they have a very nice new mall. I personally prefer the Kea Lani Resort over both places. Both areas have a good walking trial, but the Wailea one is more scenic. The Renaissance has a good beach area. I guess it depends on what you like. If you want to take a snorkle trip, the Hyatt's boat is right in front of the resort. In Wailea you have to drive 20 miles to a harbor. The resorts are newer in Wailea, and I think the Kea Lani, Grand Wailea, and Four Seasons looked nicer than the Renaissance. That is just my opinion though. I'm sure you would spend more money too. The Hyatt compares in price to the Kea Lani, but you get more space and a better free breakfast. I know from experience. The rooms at the Kea Lani are better. I'm sure you won't be disapponited at either place. Every resort I've been to in Hawaii has been real nice!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:43 AM
yyyyyyy

zzzz,

Do you know Bob Dylan's song, something about the Times They Are a Changin?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 04:49 PM
ren

I've stayed at both in 1998. The Hyatt was a lot nicer and had better amenities, such as an awesome pool. The Renaissance is located in a more secluded area with other fancy hotels such as the Four Seasons ( it is probably one of the less fancy hotels in that area). I prefer the Hyatt's location, but if you want seclusion, then choose the Renaissance. Have a great trip

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Myra

Have to agree with the poster regarding condo rentals. We rented a 2 bedroom (even though it was just 2 of us) condo last year that was approximately 1400 sq. ft. It was so spacious and very upscale. It had all the normal ammentities and then some. The biggest plus was that we had a 300 sq. ft. balcony overlooking the ocean with 2 chaise lounges and a table and chairs to sit out each day with coffee or cocktails watching the sun go down. I believe we only paid $600 for the entire week. You might look into condo rentals and consider this as a better option. The money you save will buy you lots of nice dinners or excursions. We rented ours through a site called ebay.com (my husband handled all of this so I don't know much more) It was a fabulous way to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Barbara

Myra, we had a similar experience with a great condo for the week at a very reasonable rate. Do you recall the name of your condo? I'm sure it was probably a timeshare rental right? They seem to be the nicest!