I need a good Mall in Miami

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming to Miami in January from Cairo Egypt for a cruise. I'm planning to stay and do some shopping in the Miami area after the cruise, but looking over the Internet to find a mall I want to be close to, I'm not coming up with a lot.

Is anyone from Miami on this forum - that knows anything about shopping there?
I would like a mall that has BOTH a Nordstroms and a JC Penney, and hopefully a Macy's. Do they have a mall that has all 3? It would be nice if it had lots of other ladies clothing stores too and of course shoes.

I would like it to have a Best Western or some sort of equal motel near it too.

Any suggestions so I can make a reservation for after the cruise?

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 06:18 AM

The best all around mall in the area is Aventura Mall. It's about about 10 miles north of Downtown. It's got Nordstroms, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Sak's 5th Avenue, Sears, JC Penney, and almost any shop that you can think of. It's got plenty of restaurants too. You can easily find anything you want there from the most upscale to the most affordable.
http://www.aventuramall.com/
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Seconding SoBchBud1's recommendation for Aventura Mall. I think there are close to 300 stores in the mall, so you'll find a wide range of merchandise available. You'll find plenty of hotels very close to the mall if you were planning on staying near it.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM

I would definitely go with the Aventura Mall, you can beat it. It's 3 stories and has anything you could ever want from the big brand names to the boutiques and even designers. It's big and fun and has restaurants and even a movie theater, you can't beat it. And it's not far at all from Miami.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions. I am sure I will stay near Aventura Mall from this review. Thanks.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a motel-hotel that won't break the bank? I wouldn't mind if it had a pool and a restaurant, but don't have to have that since I expect to be shopping most of the time. Car parking is probably important. Is that automatic at hotel-motels in Miami? If I find some names of places on the Internet with a search would you steer me away from anything awful? Hope so.

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM

As it seems you have a car, you shouldn't limit your lodging to just the vicinity around the Aventura Mall, which is in Northeast Miami straddling the Broward county line. You can search from Hollywood all the way to South Beach just 10 miles away. If you are comfortable with Priceline then try bidding on only 4 star properties. You'll probablu get beachfront! At this time time of year until Christmas $99 wins are quite common. Take the time and do some research on www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM

OOPS sorry I see you're coming in January. It will be high season an rates everywhere will be at a premium. List what you come up with and I'll try to offer an opinion.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

If I can avoid the car, I will. I don't really want to drive in an unfamiliar state/city, but don't really want to be lugging purchases a mile on foot back to the hotel, even if crossing the streets in Miami is doable and safe (I'm used to Cairo traffic - very different issue here)
I won't reserve a car, but wait to see the lay of the land and if I'll be needing one for some reason. From what everyone says about this mall, I shouldn't have to leave the mall except to sleep or when my credit card gets maxed outa - it sounds like.

The one hotel that keeps calling my name is the Marriott - right there. It's more expensive than I want to spend, but it seems like it would be comfortable and safe. Maybe I've been watching too much CSI Miami on our Egyptian TV - ya think? I want to be safe. My purse strings say go for a cheap motel, my girlie side says go for the Marriott.

Thanks for the tips on those bidding websites. I will check them out and get back to you if I change my mind from the Marriott.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM

Definitely Aventura Mall- you cant find a better mall in Miami. As far as hotels go- the Marriott is your best bet. I think there's also a Courtyard Marriott nearby too (free breakfasts!). Try to look for any hotel that is EAST of US-1 (the main road where Aventura is)...anything West of US-1 could be seedy. However, i highly recommend a car. You do not want to be lugging all your purchases back and forth. In miami, car rentals are inexpensive and parking is plentiful and free almost anywhere you go in Miami (with the exception of downtown/tourist areas).

Have fun on your trip! Aventura Mall is beautiful- especially during the holidays when they dress it all up.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:39 AM

Another vote for Aventura Mall. The Courtyard is around the corner from the mall. Another option would be to stay over the bridge on the beach. Sunny Isles or Surfside. You will find all levels of accommodations in Sunny Isles. There are some older hotels that have survived that may fit your budget that were once all the rage back in the 50s. The Sahara,

Newport Beach Resort: http://www.newportbeachsideresort.com/

Monaco(now a Travelodge: http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge...opertyId=14423) come to mind.

Happy Shopping!!!
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

MBM - thanks! The Travelodge is exactly in my price range. How far is it from the mall? Is the neighborhood OK? Are there restaurants close by to use and that are decent and safe?
Are you one that would say I should have a rental car if I'm going to stay there?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:30 AM

Cairo -

The hotel is in Sunny Isles. Its safe. You only have to worry about people driving like maniacs down A1A. Restaurants are close by but for most you must cross A1A - be very cautious and only cross at a light. My favorite lunch stop is very close to the hotel - Miami Juice - its also open for dinner. Lunch gets really packed (parking is a nightmare) and the salads, smoothies, and soups are delicious!!

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...56945435723929

Sunny Isles is a touristy neighborhood so there are lots of amenities that should make your stay easy.

On the car issue - You cant walk to the mall from the hotel - you could take cab to the and from the mall and then walk to get food near the hotel. Its nice that the property is right on the beach. Sunny Isles used to be a mecca for small kitschy hotels, then during the building boom it was transformed into a high rise mecca! Its tough to get around Miami without a car- but if you only want to go to and from the mall and to the beach you should be OK.

The mall is just over the causeway from the hotel - a 5-7 minute car ride depending on traffic. I wouldn't walk it - even if it looks close - its dangerous for pedestrians on the causeway. My husband bikes it and I think he's crazy!

Last night I noticed another hotel behind the mall - its a Residence Inn. You could walk to the mall from here (but you wouldn't get the beach or Miami Juice.)
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-5508...ventura_mall-i