Notices

I-70 through the Colorado Rockies?

May 12th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I-70 through the Colorado Rockies?

In July my husband and I are taking a road trip that will include driving across Colorado via I-70. We will only have a couple of days in this area. I'm looking for any and all advice on what there is to see, especially in the way of scenic views. We were thinking of taking the road that leads to Mt. Evans. From what I have read this is the highest paved road in America, which climbs to 14,264ft. The views from here are supposed to be spectacular! Has anyone driven this road. If so, how was it? What other scenic drives do you reccommend. Also looking for suggestions on nice but inexpensive places to sleep and eat. This is a 2.5 week trip so were on a budget. For meals we would prefer somewhere casual, but with some character. Hotels can be simple as long as there cozy and most of all clean. Would appreciate all the help I can get!
May 12th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Scenic stops we've made in the past when going that way include Colorado National Monument and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Also, Arches National Park and Dead Horse Point are not that much off from I-70 as it runs through Utah.
May 12th, 2003, 11:23 PM

I haven't done Mt. Evans but I have done Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park in Nevada and when you get up to 13,000+ feet becarefull. We got headaches and didn't stay up at the peak long!

Other areas to consider along with those that shao inn suggested would be Rocky Mountain National Park and the scenic drive was over Indenpendence Pass on Hwy 82 out of Aspen, CO.

Utahtea
May 13th, 2003, 06:01 AM

The Mt. Evans drive is beautiful. We've been up there several different summers usually in late June, and it nearly always snows a bit for us! (Quite a big deal if you're like us....from the south.) There's a large lake at the base of Mt. Evans, and my husband has spent several days fly fishing there. The road to the summit is quite narrow and winding, but worth the drive for the view on a clear day. You don't say if you're from a high altitude area, but if not, be sure to drink LOTS of water to help with the altitude. Here are a couple of cheap local eateries along I70 that we love....Beaujo's Pizza at Idaho Springs and The Happy Cooker at Georgetown (wonderful homemade soups, salads, and sandwiches.) If time permits, Georgetown is a quaint little town and a great place to spend the afternoon. We've enjoyed the railway and mine tour which begins there. There are plenty of chain hotels at the Dillon exit just past the Eisenhour tunnel.

I ditto utahtea's suggestions about Independence Pass and Rocky Mt. National Forest. They are both beautiful also.
May 13th, 2003, 07:13 AM

We did the drive years ago and it was stunning! There is snow up there almost year round so if it is warm when you leave be sure to pack something for cold weather or you wont want to get out of the car. Beaujoe's pizza is a must try!!! I still crave it to this day!
May 13th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you, for the great tips! It looks like I better bring a heavier coat if we plan on doing the Mt. Evans drive! I only wish we had more than a couple of days. It sounds like there is much to see in this area. Although I'm sure we will go back someday. We plan on traveling all over the country when my husband retires!
By the way I'm from Michigan.
May 13th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Hi Puppydog! If your going to be in the high county over the 4th best to make reservations soon as its a very busy week. Mt. Evans is very pretty as is the entire drive on I70. If you looking for something other than the standard hotel chains, you might stop in Frisco CO, right off the highway but a charming little town try http://www.hotelfrisco.com or http://www.creeksideinn-frisco.com both located on Main st.

A "must do" is a stop in Glenwood springs for a soak in the mineral pool!
May 13th, 2003, 01:26 PM

A neat little town to see is Minturn. It's just off I-70, just west of Vail. It is so un-Vail-like.
If you have time, you might consider jumping off I-70 at Minturn and heading south to 82 ; then loop back north. This will take you over Independence Pass and through Aspen.
Yes, Aspen is tres chi-chi, but I think it's still a cool town to walk around. Take the short drive up to Maroon Bells; very, very scenic there.
Have fun.
May 14th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Having lived in Clear Creek County for several years a while ago, I second everyone's comments about Mt. Evans and the beauty of the I-70 drive. If you are going to be staying in or near Glenwood Springs, the Glenwood Springs Hotel has a little-known garret room that is the most romantic hotel room I've ever been in. It's at the very top of the hotel (the elevator does not even reach that floor), it's more of a small apartment than a room, and it has an exterior patio that looks out over the town lights and mountains. I have exceedingly fond memories of that room.

Search this Thread