Search

colorado national parks itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colorado national parks itinerary

Help!
My husband is going nuts trying to decide on an itinerary with about 9 nights in Colorado (driving from California) and 4 nights in utah, starting Aug. 22nd.
Any ideas??
The primary focus is the National Parks and scenery with hiking (maybe light camping but probably cheap chain hotels).
Thanks in advance for any input. I have tried searching the site but I can read messages on Colorado in general as part of a 'tour' but not much relating specifically to Nat. Parks.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Hi
In Utah I would do Bryce Canyon and Zion then go onto Lake Powell. From Lake Powell go to Monument Valley onto Colorado.
This is a brief itinerary for Colorado.
I would spend 2 nights at Mesa Verde.
Two nights at Durango take the train ride. Then drive up the million Dollar highway too Manitou Springs. The Royal Gouge would also be a possibility, have not been can’t recommend it till next month when we return from our trip to Colorado. Ride the Cog Railway to Pikes Peak. Then on too the Rocky Mountain National Park. Up too Estes Park. Do the rim too rim drive. Stay at Grand Lake. I hope this gives you ideas for Colorado.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM

The four nights in Utah...will that be two nights coming and two nights going? It might also help to know if you are coming from S. California or N. California.

Utahtea
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Great Sand Dunes Nat. Monument is a worthwhile, unique stop as well.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:31 AM

The national parks/monuments in Colorado that I have visited are:
Mesa Verde, Colorado National Monument, Great Sand Dunes, Floristan NM (near Pike's Peak), the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Rocky Mountain Natonal Park.

If you are in Moab visiting Arches and Canyonlands, I suggest driving from there to Cortez for the night and continuing on to Mesa Verde the next day. You need to get there early, early to get a ticket to Balcony House or Long House. Some of the others are "walk in" type dwellings.

From Mesa Verde, continue north from Durango over the road to Silverton and Ouray. This route is not in a park, but it is nice. The main road is very good and traverses 3 mountain passes: Coal Bank, Molas, and Red Mountain. The descent into Ouray is spectacular.

From Ouray, continue north to US 50 and turn east toward Gunnison and watch for the turn to the Black Canyon.

From there continue on toward Gunnison.
Here you have a choice: You can go over the paved road to cross Monarch Pass, or you can turn north from Gunnison and follow the Taylor River to Taylor Park. From there cross the Saguache Range on the very spectacular Cottonwood Pass. It is a dirt road, but maintained.

This route brings you down in Buena Vista from which you can turn north to Leadville, and follow a route to Rocky Mountain NP through Breckenridge. If you wish, you can detour from the Interstate and drive the older route over Monarch Pass. It is high and spectacular.

Once you get to RCMP, the route I am indicating takes you over Trail Ridge Road, which is a spectacular drive over high country with nice views over the Front Range of the Rockies with Long's Peak being the highest point visible.

This approach misses Colorado NM, but if you have seen Arches and Canyonlands, I think other adventures are preferable and will give you a chance to see scenery other than red rocks.

I would like to emphasize that a lot of the scenery in Colorado is not in National Parks. My son is out there right now and he told me over the telephone that he left Colorado Springs the other morning and drove the top of Pike's Peak, descended, drove west over Moncarch Pass, turned off on a dirt road and went over Cumberland Pass to Taylor Park from the south, exited Taylor Park via Cottonwood Pass after visiting Tin Cup.

From Buena Vista he drove to Leadville, left the main road to drive over Monarch Pass and ended in Breckenridge.

It was about a 400 mile day, and at some point he sandwiched in Great Sand Dunes. He was ecstatic. (He did not go to the Black Canyon, but he saw that on earlier trips. One when he ws 6.)

Of course if high places bother you, then we have a different set of conditions.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Just a clarification for Amber100 - the Million Dollar Hwy goes from Durango to Ouray - not Manitou Springs. I think Brookwood's suggestions sound good. Have fun!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Brookwood's suggestion is fantastic-I've done all of that route at different times and it's truly a "best of." Have fun!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

You are all wonderful...........I can't thank you enough. He will be coming from the LA area. I am going to print everything out, but keep any suggestions coming please.
Phil's wife!!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM

As a native, my two cents: you don't need 2 nights in mesa verde, grand junction and the colorado national monument is great,but don't miss Rocky Mt., and for sure don't miss the newest, Sand Dunes National Park. 2 nights in Durango?! NO way. Any mountain drive in CO is worth it, come to think of it-but I think the National Parks are spectacular too (folks should learn their 2, to, two, and too, should they not?)
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Sylvia
I am sorry if you think two nights in Durango is too much. However, if you would read my itinerary I suggested taking the train. A very fantastic experience for anyone. A must in my opinion having done it on two separate trips. Also Mesa Verde if they plan on touring the park they may not wanted to move on to the next morning,or continued two Durango the same day. I am a firm believer in not trying to put too much in one day. I also agree that the Sands Dune National Park is a must. They could stay in Durango and go to the Park from their. After hiking all day IMHO they may not want to drive on to the next destination.