Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress or Universals Portifino bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys am going to orlando at the end of the month and am thinking of staying in one of these two hotels. It's our honeymoon and have heard the Hyatt is ideal for honeymooners however am unsure whether lake Buena vista has much going on in the evenings and if we would need a car. Ideally would like to be able to go out in the evening without driving. The positives about staying at the Portifino is jumping the lines at universal and also the transportation system to city walk and being on I drive would we need a car or could we use I drive trolley. All opinions greatly appreciated.

Beanie
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:02 AM

Hi, Beanie,
The Grand Cypress Hyatt is one of my all-time favorite hotels. Beautiful grounds and lobby, incredible free-form swimming pool, and terrific service. However, the standard rooms are pretty basic for the price. Once when there, we had a comp upgrade to the concierge level. That was wonderful! Larger room and comp cont breakfast, cocktails, and evening dessert. If you choose the GCH, be sure to remind them that you are on your honeymoon when you check in. Perhaps you'd have the same luck! There are also several good restaurants on site, including Hemmingways, which is my favorite. However, you'd have to take a cab to anywhere else you'd want to go. But Downtown Disney is very close. They also have daily shuttles to DW, but I'm not sure about Universal. The whole GCH complex definitely feels "special occasion."
I've never visited the Portofino, but obviously, people seem to like it! The line-jumping is great in itself. I'm sure many others will chime in to list its benefits.
Have fun choosing, and best wishes for your marriage!
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Hi beanie1-never stayed at Portifino-but we LOVED Hyatt Grand Cypress!!!What a heavenly resort-even swans swimmimg in the lake near the pool. And what a pool! There's an intimate little grotto area back there-and several jacuzzi's. We felt like royalty at this place. I'd go back just to enjoy the hotel itself! But you know the Disney stuff is only a few blocks away-Pleasure Island has later hours and we had the greatest, funniest time at one of the comedy shows there!
It was so nice to get up early at the Hyatt each morning for my walk-the grounds are so beautiful-there's even a horse stable!
You'll love this place.
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:48 PM
hsv

have not been to portofino either (obviously not too many here have...), but you can't go wrong with the Hyatt- one of my all- time favorites! That place actually could serve as a bench- mark for what a resort should be. can only agree to posts here regarding pool, landscaping, service etc. should add, that there's gorgeous golf (nicklaus), good tennis opportunities (almost all surfaces) and one of the most breathtaking lobbies i have ever encountered.
you will need a car, though, if you want to leave the extensive resort grouds in the evenings!
have good fun!
hsv
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:22 PM

I've been to the Portofino - just last week. It was beautiful. I haven't been to the Hyatt, but the Portofino was a little like being in Italy. Most of the people there all spoke Italian also. The bayview rooms overlooking the bay and fishing boats were beautiful. The pool was great. Also, being able to be right at Universal and a big plus. If you go, ask for a deluxe room. It has a huge bathroom that has shutters that open up into the room so you can watch TV from the bathtub - and there are speakers in the bathroom. It was a great hotel!
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:42 PM

Remember too that if you stay at the Portofino you jump right to the head of the ride lines at Universal/IOA . You can also pay an additional 15 dollars and buy an express coupon book, if you stay elsewhere
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:20 AM

I haven't been to the Hyatt, but stayed at Portofino Bay last year and we are going again at the end of June. I think Portofino Bay would be perfect for honeymooners. It is really quite lovely. The deluxe rooms are beautiful - with huge bathrooms. The service is great and there is a nice spa. The Portofino Bay has a "Beach Pool" with slide for fun and a "Villa Pool" which is more for adults. There are nice restaurants at the resort or you can go to City Walk, which is a ten minute walk (or water taxi ride). There are many restaurants at City Walk. On top of all of this, you will go to the front of the line at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. I can't tell you how great this perk is. It isn't really front of the line, but it feels that way. When you show your room key, you will go into the Express Line. We never stood in line longer than six or seven minutes and most of the time we just walked on. This was in the summer right before the Fourth of July - a very busy time. It is great.

By the way, you receive this perk when you stay at any of the Universal on-site hotels - Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel or Royal Pacific Resort.

I hope this was helpful.

Have fun!

Old May 26th, 2003, 06:49 PM

You really can't get around Orlando too well without a car unless you're going to stick to your hotel and the theme parks. Free buses will take you to most of the Disney or Universal parks. There a several good restaurants in Downtown Disney- but it is good for only one night or so. City Walk is similar near Universal-make reservations at Emerals. the taxis in Orlando are not very friendly, they drive pretty nuts, and can get expensive in a hurry. If you rent a car, get a very good map, the signs in Orlando are very confusing and often misleading. Disney properites are not near downtown Orlando, so often the signs will be directing you toward Tampa to go west, which is the right way to go- who would know from that? Good luck