Search

Hvaing problems finding accomodation in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hvaing problems finding accomodation in Boston

Hi,

I am arriving in from New York by bus to Boston on Monday late night.

I will be in Boston for three nights, i.e. Monday night, Tue Night, Thu night.

I am trying to get accomodation for less than USD100/- per night, but it all seems sold out or not available. I tried several different bids on priceline (after visiting the various forums related to bidding) and have had no luck.

I would like to be in a location which is safe, offers convenient access by public transport to Harvard University, and also downtown Boston.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Thanks
Pat
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 03:07 AM

You are likely asking the impossible - under $100 and convenient public transportation access to Harvard Square and Boston.

A quick look on Expedia showed several hotels in the under $125 range within Boston (Days Inn Boston was one) and several well outside of Boston - some accessible on NON-convenient public transportation to Boston.

Hotels in immediate vicinity of Harvard Square and downtown Boston are very difficult, if not impossible, to find in that price range. When you check rates, also realize that they will add a variety of taxes to the cost and this is not reflected in price on sites.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 04:00 AM

This is the height of the "leaf peeping" season and Boston is a popular destination for tours. Here west of Route 495 the hotels are booked.. Just saw some Asian tourists in the supermarket last night who were on a bus tour. You might check Bed and Breakfasts.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Alas, it is not only leaf-peeping season, but also college parents' weekend season.

One place to try is the Motel 6 in Braintree -- although Braintree is a suburb ten miles from Boston, the motel is literally next-door to the Braintree subway station at the end of the Red Line, which also goes to downtown Boston and Harvard Square. The ride on the subway would take half an hour, but would be cheap ($2.50), frequent, and direct.

Most other hotels and motels in Braintree and Quincy have shuttles to the nearest Red Line stop. so those would work for you, too.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Just realized another factor - although, not a direct over-lap in your dates. I believe Head of the Charles Regatta is next weekend - crews from all over world need place to stay.

Also, Red Sox/Yankees baseball playoffs Fri-Sat-Sun in Boston.

Not the best time to be searching for a cheap hotel room. Good luck!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Head of the Charles is late this year -- Oct. 23/24.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:07 AM

The Days Inn in Cambridge is about $125 and is a mile from Harvard.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:18 AM

If you are a woman, you might try the YWCA on Berkely street. Cheap rooms, but only open to women.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM
yk

Hi Pat-

You can try the following B&B's, which may be within your price range. They are in Brookline near Coolidge Corner on the Green line, a short T ride to downtown. Don't know their availability but you can give them a try:

Beech Tree Inn - http://www.thebeechtreeinn.com/

Bertram Inn - http://www.bertraminn.com/

Samuel Seawall Inn - http://www.samuelsewallinn.com/

Longwood Inn - http://longwoodinn.boston.swbd.net/
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There's a B&B 1657 Cambridge St 617 868 7082 doubles $95 up but you share a bath and 5% profit donsated to help the homeless.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I usually can get the Cambridge Hyatt on Priceline for $60 a night. It's rated a 3 star on PL and has a free shuttle to Harvard Square, Galleria, etc. You can walk to Harvard Square (20-25 minutes) or catch a city bus at MIT (77 Mass Ave). Easy walk to Newberry Street and the Pru. MIT parent's weekend is 10/15-10/17. The other 3 star PL hotel in this area is the Cambridge Marriott with a T stop within 1 block. You could also try bidding 2 1/2 star for the Marriott Residence Inn Cambridge or bid for some hotels in the Pru area. Another very cheap option on PL is to bid for the 4 star Harborside Hyatt (usually goes for $50) and take the T. Try biddingfortravel.com to see what PL bids are being accepted.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:42 PM

asianpat,
Got back from Boston this summer and stayed at Cambridge Gateway Inn. It was comfortable, near the Red line subway into the city( free shuttle service to the subway) and very affordable. We went during the height of the tourist season when it is the most expensive so I am sure it would be cheaper at this time of year for you. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Thanks for that post Mayotech, I walked to that hotel when it was a Susse Chalet, and it looked like a good place to stay, convenient to Alewife Station.

Would you be willing to stay at a hostel, "asianpat"? If so, try the HIAYH hostel at 12 Hemenway Street, in the Fenway area which boasts some of the best museums and nightlife in the city. The famous Freedom Trail, taking in the historic sights of the American Revolution, is within easy reach. There are 183 beds and facilities include internet access, kitchen and laundry.
http://www.bostonhostel.org/

Or near "Old Ironsides" is the Constitution Inn, which is also a YMCA. Clean, VERY plain (think painted cement block), inexpensive, but not terribly convenient.

Consider hotels near the communter rail outside Boston: Woburn, Revere, Franklin, to name a few cities.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:53 AM

forgot: http://www.constitutioninn.com
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:51 PM

check out the John Jeffries House. It is a very nice B&B on the river near the the Mass General Hospital. www.jeffrieshouse.com
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Let us know how you made out..i.e. where you will/did stay.