Boston Hotel help for inlaws July 21-24

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to help my inlaws book a hotel in Boston for July 21-24. I don't really know Boston, and could use some advice.

Some background; I booked them at Radio City Apts in New York last March for the bargain price of $175/night. I knew it would be ok for them, all they want is clean and cheap and well located. AND, I grew up in NYC so it is much easier for me to understand where things are located. I'm really feeling lost in Boston.

My plan is to start trying priceline for 4* Copley Square and hope that works. Bidding for travel is reporting some winning bids in the $120-160 range. But, I would like to book something that is cancelable as a backup. Nothing seems to be a comparable type of property to Radio City Apts and many sites (hotels.com Orbitz, Travelocity) don't seem to have any cheap rates or they are in areas I don't know about the access to the T. I do know they like to go to hotel in the late afternoon for a rest between activities, so I want something convenient enough for them to be able to do that.

I know someone is going to ask what do they want to do in Boston. I can't really answer that question, they will be coming from Tanglewood but I'm sure they will still want to see whatever music is around, do the Freedom trail, MFA.....

Any suggestions and ideas will be very welcome.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM

It would be difficult to find a 3- or 4-star hotel in Boston that is not within walking distance to a subway station; downtown Boston is very compact.

The Freedom Trail is in the older part of the city, designated by Priceline as Downtown. The Back Bay/Copley area is newer, built on landfill and an old railroad right-of-way, and has its own charms especially if you like shopping. The MFA is accessible via public transit on the Green Line, which runs through all the areas you'd consider.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM

I've had great luck for Boston with Hotwire. Usually, you can figure out the hotels by shopping the packages or at Betterbidding.com
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:13 AM

Try the Chandler hotel.First try on their site.If no vancancy try with hotels.com.Paul
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:46 AM

Unfortunatley, "clean, cheap, well located" rarely exists in Boston (do a search on previous threads using Boston lodging). Areas to search for in Boston are called Downtown, Waterfront (but be careful you are not in South Boston or Dorchester), Copley, Faneuil Hall, Back Bay - called various things on various sites. Any of these are fine and, as Anon mentions, will be close to public transport.

In search for a bargain or more space, be careful you do not get sucked into a hotel calling itself Boston "something" - like Waltham, Somerville, etc. These are not Boston and although may be close in mileage to Boston, may involve more commuting than your inlaws will be comfortable with. Also, there are hotels which are technically in Boston but such a difficult commute as to be the equivalent of being on Mars.

Wish I had a hidden gem for you, but if one exists, I have not seen it or read about it here. When you locate something, you can post back here and get a commentary on hotel or location.
(And I have no idea why sometimes NYC hotels are less expensive than Boston - unless the answer is that they cahrge what they can get)
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Hi,
I just went though a similar situation - I found a 4 star in a great location. I will top my thread for you. It's inexpensive hotels and b+b's Boston - or similar
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Hi Liz, we are going at exactly the same time and some months ago I booked at the Charlesmark Hotel in Copley Square for $169/night. We have friends who stayed there and loved it. I has a contemporary cool vibe that appeals to me - don't know if your inlaws would like it. But it is well located. Hope this helps.
Maggi
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I have emailed the Charlesmark, no answer yet. The Chandler's cheapest available room (on their website) for that time period is $338. I think that might make them faint! Cybor, thanks for topping your thread. The Nine Zero Hotel looks great but for that time frame is $379 on Hotels.com ! I'm still looking, and taking suggestions. Thanks to everyone so far.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Also, I'm really having trouble matching up listings on Hotwire to the descriptions of hotels they give at betterbidding. I'm reluctant to ask there, since I got burned and excommunicated at biddingfortravel (ok, maybe I'm being neurotic, but eveyone here is friendlier.) Anyone know other sites that help with figuring out which hotel is which on Hotwire?
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Go ahead and ask for help on Betterbidding.com with Hotwire (first check the pinned list).

Also, take a look at the John Jeffries House.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM

PS Please read the hotel FAQ's on BFT, especially regarding Saturday check-in's being problematic.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM

TRY THE SEAPORT....FREE TRANSPORTATION TO DOWNTOWN.....ALSO THE RADISSON OUTSDE OF CHINATOWN.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Usually the Newbury Guest House would be a good, clean, reasonably priced hotel, but it appears booked. There must be a Sox game or something else going on. I had the same problem last week when my daughter was graduating MIT. Harvard was also graduating and hotels were high. I finally got some rooms for family on Priceline for $220 which was the 4 star Colonnade. That's the most I've had to pay for Boston. You might try Hotwire.

You can also use a link on betterbidding.com to lastminutetravel.com where you can book the Lenox for $197. You might also try Hotel 140.
http://www.hotel140.com/_accommodati...s_packages.htm

Try to stay in the Copley/Back Bay area.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:55 PM
bonzhoor

Hi Liz -

I'm from Boston and this question keeps coming up in the mother's group I belong to here in downtown Boston for visiting relatives. Try this hotel http://www.jhcenter.com. My husband's cousin stayed here when she came to visit from NYC . I think it might be of the same level as the Radio City Apartments. I checked out Radio City Apartment's website when I was looking into hotels in NYC and the pics reminded me of this place. It is directly off of Copley Square. Considering the location and how close it is to the $300-$500 hotels, I thought the price that this cousin got was quite reasonable($120).

Here are some more that were recommended in the mom's group and the people who recommended these had actual first hand experience with them(through their relative's experience, I should say). Granted, these are not snazzy, glitzy places but comfortable, clean and very convenient. I suggest checking reviews on tripadvisor too to give you a better comfort level. These are all located in the Back Bay/South End section of town unless otherwise indicated. I don't have the actual websites for each one of them but doing a simple google search will bring it up, I'm sure. I hope these help:

South End(although technically because of the zip code considered Back Bay)

Copley Inn http://www.copleyinn.com/index.php

Copley House at 239 West Newton or

Back Bay
Gryphon House
College Club on Commonwealth Avenue - I think just underwent a recent renovation

Beacon Hill
John Jeffries house

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:01 AM

here is an excellent thread on this with many suggestions and links

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35004813
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Bonzhoor,

Thank you, thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for. I booked them at John Hancock Hotel and Conference Center for $185/night for the three nights. It looks like a great location and maybe the most affordable lodging in Boston. I still may try Priceline, but at least they have something. I will report back after their trip. Thanks to all.