Search

How much time?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time?

I am planning a visit to Chicago and would like to have dinner or maybe just dessert at the signature room at the Hancock center my last night. My flight leaves at 9:15pm on a Saturday night. I plan on taking the blue line train to O'Hare. If I'm not checking luggage and already have my plane tickets, what is the latest I could stay downtown? I'm hoping that I could stay until 7:15 (take a 45 minute train ride and have plenty of time to get through security and board). Does this sound possible?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:00 AM
GoTravel

The train ride is more like an hour to downtown and O'Hare is a really busy airport.

I'd make sure I was on the train closer to 6:45 PM.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM

I agree with GoTravel... definitely give yourself at least an hour on the train. There could be delays, weird slow zones on the track, etc. And it's a bit of a walk from the airport train station to the terminals.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I will respectfully disagree with the previous posters. At that time on a Saturday (day of the week is key) you should not have a problem with the timeframe in the OP. Just don't cheat the time you mentioned...it is on the edge.

This from a longtime resident of Chicagoland.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM

The only time in my life that I almost missed a plane was at O'Hare two years ago. We were going from there to NYC.

Our hotel clerk swore it would only take 45 minutes to the airport. But, though the trains were supposed to come every few minutes, we waited 15 minutes for one to arrive. It also stopped in the middle of the route for about 7 extra minutes of delay. At O'Hare, it was a long walk to the check-in area, and the security lines were very, very long.

To make it even worse, at check-in the agent instructed me to carry-on my bag as it was too late to get put on the plane. This was before the liquids rule, but I still ended up losing my swiss army manicure knife and a scissors charm from my necklace (I am NOT making this up!).

My daughter had run ahead to the boarding door, so they did hold the plane, but a FA was in the hall, calling out "run, run, we've got to go" as I left the security area!

Talk about getting stink eye from all the other passengers!

Never assume that trains will be there when you arrive...especially on nights or weekends when a mechanical issue might have less repair people there to fix it!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM

I have to agree with lcuy. I ride the Red Line, and service always seems to be worse on the weekend than during the weekdays--fewer trains, and more stops and starts because of work on the track. It could be different on the Blue Line, but I wouldn't want to take a chance. I do take the Blue Line to O'Hare sometimes, and it often takes longer than I think it will!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I'm assuming a cab would be about $30-40. Any thoughts on how much time that would save?
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Even taking a cab, this lifelong Chicagoan would allow 1 hour for the trip to O'Hare. Yes, it MIGHT take less time, SHOULD take less time--but all things being equal it's better to go with the averages. If you decide to stick with the train, are you allowing time to get from the Hancock to the Blue Line station--doesn't seem to compute.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM

Due to track conditions on the Blue Line, it now routinely takes at least an hour, and sometimes more, to take the Blue Line out to O'Hare. Don't forget, you need to get from the Hancock to the Blue Line, that's at least 10 minutes. It could be at least ten minutes before a train comes. Minimum of 1 hour to O'Hare. It's a bit of a hike from the O'Hare station to the terminals, allow 10 minutes to get to security. Now you're up to an hour and a half. So, that means leaving no later than 6:45. If there are no unexpected delays, that gives you one hour at O'Hare to clear security and get to your gate.