How much is reasonable for DC night tour with cab

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone just made a great suggestion of doing a nighttime tour of the monuments via cab. For a family of four this might be more economical than using Tourmobile. Since the cost have to be negotiated with the driver, would anyone know what is a reasonable price?

Also, we will be using a cab from DCA Airport to our hotel about 2 blocks from the White House. Four people and three pieces of luggage. What would be a reasonable price for the ride?
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Taxi fares in DC are not metered but are based on zones. I found this calculator for you:

http://citizenatlas.dc.gov/atlasapps/taxifare.aspx

You'll pay to go from one zone to another, or one price if you stay within a zone. The drivers don't have a lot of leeway on this as the fares are regulated. Thus it can become expensive if you spread out your tour, or it can remain cheap if you confine it to one zone.

You might also check into booking a limo for an hour, or a town car.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Tandoorigirl, THANKS for that web site. DC taxi zones had been such a mystery to me; the last time I looked for a map online I had no luck. BUT users like the OP must check the notes at the bottom -- unlike many cities, DC has surcharges for luggage and additional passengers.

But I don't think a cab driver would be willing to give a tour wandering about in a single zone for the same price as a quick ride from one point to another in that zone!!

Asking a random cabbie for a tour is very chancy anyway, especially since there's a good chance of running into problems like language obstacles, misinformation about the memorials (history is not their job), or heated political commentary.

This sounds like a good question for a hotel concierge.

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Ad up the cost of 4 tourmobile tix and knock $10 of the total. Any cab driver would jump at that price. Make sure you like the guy first. Some are very knowledgable and fun, others not so much. Even if it were more money, it would be a better experience.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Add up the cost of 4 tourmobile tix and knock $10 of the total. Any cab driver would jump at that price. Make sure you like the guy first. Some are very knowledgable and fun, others not so much. Even if it were more money, it would be a better experience. Agree with idea of asking concierge or doorman, they know the drivers and could make a recommendation.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM

As long as you do not stop to go into the buildings on you nighttime tour, you can cover the territory adequately in 30 minutes. Considering that the fixed tour ticket cost for 2 adults and 2 kids would be $60 (the narrators expect tips on top of that), and a cabbie would be foregoing 4 fares at an average of $8 in the 30 minutes you occupy the taxi, I'd offer $40 and see what reaction you get.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:22 PM

The base taxi fare from DCA to your hotel should be around $15, but the airport fee and extra passengers + luggage may bring it to $20+.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Since most drivers lease their vehicles and the meter or zones are merely a 'tool' paying a flat rate is absolutely reasonable.
In most cities, the meter has to be legally on so that you aren't charged MORE than what the rate should be.
While not having first hand experience with DC cabs I have had very firsthand experience with cabs. At $50 an hour, you have probably bought and sold most taxi drivers.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:30 AM

I agree with anonymous. I live in DC and would never in a million years ask a random cabbie to give me a tour of the monuments. It isn't clear what you mean by a tour, but if it's simply to drive you around that area to look at them, and you know your exact itinerary to tell the cabbie (first go to monument x, then y, etc), maybe. I would never expect them to be giving a talk or lecture on the monuments, the idea seems laughable to me -- I barely trust them to get me from point a to b correctly. If the idea is to save a measly $10 over a professional tourmobile tour, it doesn't make sense to me.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 08:55 AM

It's not clear what you mean by a tour - if you just want a series of drive bys I'm sure a lot of cabs would be willing to do it. but naturally there wil not be any commentary or info. If you want to stop and tour each monument that's another matter - since the time involved would be extensive - in that case you would need to hire the cab - or car - by the hour - I don;t think they would take a flat rate. Your hotel concierge should know details on service and price.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM
E

I may be speaking out of turn, but I assumed that what the poster meant by "tour" was to be driven around the monuments at night. It would indeed be ridiculous to think that a randomly selected cabbie would give good running commentary as s/he drives. However, I think it would be acceptable to ask the cabbie to wait while you hop out to take a picture--for a very brief stop, in other words, because a cabbie's time is money. I also think it would be a good idea to map out a rough route for the drive, then discuss it with the cabbie; if s/he can't speak enough English for that, pick a different cabbie. (All told, I'd do the Tourmobile, but the idea of a cab seems doable, IMO.) Good luck!
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Doing a night tour of the monuments (excluding Vietnam Memorial since it is best seen during the day) is definitely something special. I wouldn't suggest doing a cab tour at all. I'll agree with everyone to use your hotel concierge's help, Tourmobile, or a limo company. You need to be able to get out of the car, stroll, and take lots of photos. Be sure and go to the Marines' Memorial (often called Iwo Jima) and savor the gorgeous view of DC from atop the hill. It is brerathtaking! I still have my photos from my first night monument tour when I was in High School, and they bring back SO many memories!