How many conventioneers is too many?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a long weekend in Las Vegas this fall. I looked at the convention calendar website, and for the weekends we're available, the number of conventioneers scheduled are approximately 12,000, 25,000, 32,000, 59,000, and over 115,000. How many is so many that hotel rooms will be hard to find (or expensive) and the place will just have too many people? I'd think the weekend with only 12,000 might be OK, but I've never been to LV.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM

Forget the convention calender in Las Vegas.

It is a town that has no down time.

You will not be able to tell how many conventioneers are in town because there are always sub conventions going on.

For example, the eye doctor convention might bring 20,000 however the sunglass association of America might piggyback on to the eye doctors with an additional 5,000 people. Then the Sunglass Hut may have their annual owners conference over this event. See?

Pick your dates and go.

I'd worry more about weather than other guests.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

I don't necessarily agree with GoTravel's response. 115,000 people vying for dinner reservations is a lot of people.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM

Las Vegas is large enough that few conventions will mean a lack of rooms. but, larger conventions will drive up hotel prices. I wouldn't touch any time with a convention of 25,000 or more. (That's the only time I've been there - and the room prices were not the only problem. It;s also difficult to get reservations at good restaurants and the shows tend not to have any discounts.

That said - there is some convention in Vegas at almost any time except Christmas and mid summer.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM

Hardly any of the conventions scheduled this year have had great turnouts. Most have been 30% or more down from what is posted on the convention calendar. If that holds up for the rest of the year one that states 50,000 or less will be 35,000 or less. We have a lot of rooms and a lot of restaurants sitting empty. I would stay away from a specific hotel if that is were the convention is being held and it is large, such as Mandalay Bay or the Venetian if it is at the Sands. Other then that if you know when you are coming and where you want to eat, make reservations for the room right away and the restaurant two weeks in advance. One thing we are seeing where I work is a lot less people with reservations. They know business is down and are not making reservations to far in advance, 50% or more the day they want to come. Please come and have a great time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with LVAMY. Attendence at national conventions are WAY down this year - in all the big convention cities. Many vendors are walking away from big deposits, because it's better to lose 10K on a deposit than lose more money in expenses. The big conventions that we normally attend have been about 1/3 of "normal" years. I'd book anyway - and look for a better deal closer to the dates. I had a hard time finding a decent rate in SF last year due to a 60K attendence convention - and then the week before the rates had dropped 50%. Once the reserved blocks of rooms are released, there are more rooms (and possibly great deals) to be had.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

That's a point about the likelihood of the conventions having fewer attendees than they expected.