How is the aquarium in Chicago?

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the aquarium in Chicago?

I didn't see it on the itineraries of any of the posts below.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM

The Shedd Aquarium is my adult daughter's favorite place to go in Chicago. The web site is sheddaquarium.org which will give you more information as well as many good reviews. The oceanarium has a glass wall to Lake Michigan so the view is very realistic. Chicago has so many "must see" museums, it is often missed. If you like aquariums, I definitely would put it on your itinerary. Many people combine it with Field Museum in the same campus, and those two museums could take a full day to enjoy.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM

The Shedd Aquarium is excellent. As CollegeMom mentioned, you can easily combine it with the Field Museum. Also, the Adler Planetarium is in the same complex. While its general exhibits appeal more to older children and adults, it has some really good planetarium shows - state of the art, and fun for all ages.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM

I was listening to the radio the other day and caught part of a segment where they said the Oceanarium was going to be closed for remodeling or something. They were talking about how they ship off the animals to other zoos, etc., for temporary housing - so you might want to check on when that happens.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM

The oceanarium will be closed September 2 through mid-2009 for maintenance. http://tinyurl.com/5864al
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
JJ5

Shedd is my grandkids favorite actually.

You may want to search Shedd Aquarium on this forum search and lots of older posts will come up.

I did a long one once on the different aspects of the stonework in the walls outside of each "hall" etc. Soundings is the white table cloth restaurant with views that is practical, lovely, leisurely and not $$ expensive- within the Shedd. We did lunch there with two little boys that turned out delightful.

It's a very full 3 to 4 hours if you do it right. It could be easily combined with a short Field Museum or 1/2 day Art Institute, IMHO.

I would do Art I. over anything and Field would give more time, actually, than just 1/2 a day.

Lots and lots of Chicago threads on here, so do a search for walks or restaurants or whatever.
www.metromix.com too for hotel/restaurant givens etc. or what's in town.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We do aquariums whenever we go to a major city because we have a salt water tank in our house. Now we know how much time to devote to it and what else to do in the neighborhood. Fortunately we have four days so I think we'll have time to sqeeze in the major museums. Can't wait to see the Art In.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM

The Shedd is still worth a visit even if the Oceanarium is closed.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM

I was just in Boston at the New England Aquarium and The Shedd is far better than that Aquarium. Plan for a day and if you are doing any other city locations citypass.com helped us save money with our trip to Boston. I'm pretty sure there might even be a free day at the Shedd, but I would call them or check their website.