Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago trip itinerary (please give me suggestions!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Chicago for the first time for 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend.

We're staying at the Park Hyatt along the Magnificent Mile. I wanted to get some feedback on our loose plan for the trip, and see if there is anything that is a "must see" that I should add.

Just a note about the restaurant options--we live in a food city (New Orleans) and go out to "fine dining" places regularly for work, so for this trip we're looking to go more Chicago-style with less fancy places.

Restaurants:
1. Giordanos for famous deep dish pizza
2. La Scarola, , Rosebud on Rush, or Rosebud on Taylor for traditional Italian (which one is better?)
3. Grand Lux Cafe for a possible lunch option during shopping
4. Harry Caray's: I thought it would be fun to go here on Memorial Day evening as the Cubs are at home
5. Gold Coast dogs: famous Chicago style hot dogs
6. Bistro 110 for a lunch or dinner
7. NoMi at Park Hyatt: our deal through Virtuoso comes with one free lunch at NoMi Gardens or Lounge, so this we will definitely do.
8. NoMi breakfast (this is also included in our Virtuoso deal...how is the breakfast?)

Activities:
1. Fields Museum (special pirate exhibit during our trip)
2. Sears Tower skydeck
3. Watertower/Magnificent Mile shopping
4. Navy Pier (Evening fireworks/architecture combo river cruise)
5. Sunday night free outdoor jazz concert at Pritzker Pavillion at Millenium Park

Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM

I would substitute the Hancock Tower in place of the Sears Tower. You get a better view. You could even go to the Signature Room for drinks and avoid the lines / admission fee. Definitely agree with the Field Museum. Saw about the Pirates Exhibit and wish I was going to be able to get there to see it. Out of the restaurants you listed, I have only been to Giordanos and definitely enjoyed it.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM

The Art Institute of Chicago is a must....one of our country's best museums.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM

A BIG MISS -- tours by the Chicago Architectural Foundation (that is not the correct name but close) especially the boat tour on the Chicago river. But the walking are great also.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Tchoiniere: Does the Signature Room provide as good as a view? It may be better to do the Hancock since it's much closer to our hotel.

HowardR: Could we do justice to the Art Institute by going for a half day? My husband and I aren't big museum people, but I've read that it's a great museum.

Fmdpen: I just read a couple of bad reviews about the Chicago Architectural Foundation boat tour...have you been on it and is it great?

Thanks for the quick responses!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Yes, you are only 1 floor below the skydeck. We did the skydeck then the Signature room and they were essentially the same view. The skydeck does have an audio tour that provides history. The Sears Tower is definitely taller but its situated further from the sites that you would want to see. The Hancock gives you a great view of the Lake and the surrounding beaches, tourist sites, etc.

Do the CAF boat tour. I would do that in place of the Navy Pier cruise. I had read that as you doing the CAF tour then going to Navy Pier. It was a great 1.5 hour tour that gives you a lot of history of Chicago.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 04:37 AM

I highly recommend the CAF boat tour. We took one last summer and it was very interesting and informative, plus we got to see more of the city and it's important buildings than we would have otherwise during our short stay. It was definitely worth the time and money!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM

,,,,,,Fmdpen: I just read a couple of bad reviews about the Chicago Architectural Foundation boat tour...have you been on it and is it great?........

We have been on the tour twice (last summer most recent) plus a couple of their walking tours -- all excellent. Would be interested in knowing when, where, what the bad reviews were about.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Be sure that you set aside enough time to enjoy the stained glass exhibits at Navy Pier! It takes a while to see it all and it would be a shame to rush through it. We also really enjoyed seeing the Frank Lloyd Wright houses in Chicago.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Visit Als#1 Italian Beef on West Taylor for lunch. Italian beef sandwich is a Chicago tradition and Als is one of the better ones.

I second the Hancock Signature suggestion. The elevator ride is free so instead of paying ~$15 per for the ride up you can have a drink/lunch and enjoy the same views.

Visit some of the ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants. You will get a better feel of what Chicago is all about. German, Italian, Polish, etc.

Wicker Park/Bucktown became one of the hippiest neighborhoods in the city. If you are into galleries, eclectic restaurants and fun nightclub action, then it's a must.

Gibson's Steakhouse on North Rush street is a wonderful experience. One of the best steakhouse in the world and also a fun experience. It's loud, it's crowded and you never know who you may see. Need to make a reservations. (make sure it's this one, not the suburban location)

Enjoy your visit to the best city in US...
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM

More votes for the Signature Room (we just had drinks/appetizers - definitely go in the ladies' room [if you are a lady, of course] - best view in the place), and definitely for the CAF boat tour. It's hard for me to imagine someone giving that tour a bad review! Check the weather and book tickets in advance, especially on that weekend.

I preferred Lou Malnati's to Giordano's... but people get in fights over that sort of thing.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM

You can see at least enough of the Art Institute in a couple hours. On the south side of Grant Park, the Field Museum (natural history) and the aquarium are two of the best. Also, I think no visit would be complete without going to the science museum.

Your restaurant choices are good, although I like Mia Francesa and Maggianos for Italian and Gene & Georgetti's for steaks.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM

If you only have a couple of hours at the Art Institue be sure to spend them in the Impressionist exihibit. The collection in the Art Institute has one of the finest collections of impressionist paintings in the world.

If the restaurant is open you can have lunch in the Courtyard Restaurant inside the Art Institute.

Rosebud restaurants are a chain. So I don't think it matters which one you go to.

If you go for drinks at the Signature Room be sure to check out the ladies room. The view is fabulous!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM

I think you have gotten a lot of good advice on here. My only 2 cents is on your item #2 regarding having a traditional Italian dinner. Are you looking more for traditional Italian or traditional Italian-American? The three restaurants you mentioned are all fine but fall into the latter category. If you are looking more for the former I would suggest Spiagga (warning, pretty pricey) or, if you aren't looking at spending that much, Spiaggia has a less formal restaurant (Cafe Spiaggia) which is significantly cheaper and in line with the prices at the places you mentioned. Both often get nationwide recognition (especially Spiaggia). Both can be found at http://www.spiaggiarestaurant.com/

Also, two other, slightly cheaper options virtually next door to each other, Osteria Via Stato (www.osteriaviastato.com) and Quartino (www.quartinochicago.com). Both are good and are less formal and (if applicable) family friendly. If pressed I'd choose the former of these two however.