Beach or mountains in NC?

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach or mountains in NC?

If you had a week to holiday starting on 06/08, would you head to the ocean or the mountains in NC? We, family with older kids, are currently in Charlotte short term, and moving away this summer. Have not been to either the beach or the mts as yet. Golfing is not important, but tennis, hiking, swimming, horseback riding, good food are. Want this to be a good vacation, but not a bank breaker. And if anybody can suggest a pet friendly place, that is great.

Has anybody stayed at the Yonahlossee Resort?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Yonahlassee was where our daughter went to CAMP. It is a little hard to say which you would like, but I would bet it would be the beach, if you don't have the beach as a regular thing. You might not be able to do ALL you want at the beach. For that you might look at the mountains at a resort near Asheville that I cannot call the name of -- _____ Ranch. Someone here will supply it.
If you are going "back" to an inland place, you might want to think more about the beach.
Come back and tell us more.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM

I would also tell you that my prior remarks are from someone who "doesn't like the beach" but has a beach place. I think the Carolina beach experience is truly UNIQUE and if you are going to a completely different part of the country, your children would LOVE it. I LOVE the mountains equally--we camped extensively there, and still go. Carolina is a great place, ain't it so!!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

We are moving overseas and will have opportunity to visit beaches, but not the mountains. Family is leaning towards a beach resort, I am more keen on the mountains... Yonahlassee sounded good in that it seemed to have everything that I was looking for. But campers will not be a positive for DH who looks for peace and quiet and pampering on holidays.

If it was going to be a beach, which one would you recommend? I have trawled the forum for these also, and saw some older posts about Oak Island, Seabrook etc. So difficult to decide...
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:37 AM

NO, no. It WAS a camp and was converted to a resort. And depending on where overseas you are going, beaches come in all varieties--few as beautiful as ours, in my opinion. BUT because the beaches elsewhere also come with the exoticness of "being" overseas, they are also beautiful.
There is lots to do in the mountains and if you want to do all you listed, then that is where you should go.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:37 AM

You can easily visit the Mts. most any weekend from CLT so I would also suggest the beach. Look here - www.ncbrunswick.com , www.VisitNC.com/Beach Sounds like you are looking for more of a resort, of which I can lend little help. More of that around Charleston & SC.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Many posts on here re: Asheville & the Mts. as well.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

You have it just right - family just loves the whole resort thing. Why not get the family happy while I sit back with a book... Anybody has suggestions for resorts? Do they have all-inclusive resorts here? Or vacation home rentals within resorts, although we will not have a whole week to spare? Son plays tennis, so one with a tennis program would be good. I think I'll start a new thread for this one. Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM

You will NOT see any beach "overseas" like those on the Outer Banks..believe me..been there, done that...GO while you have the opportunity..you can find everything you asked for in your post.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, have decided to go with the beaches...
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM

Long Beach, NC is nice. I've been there many times with my family. We always rented a house, and I know for the last few years the prices have gotten pretty high. But I think I heard that those prices have come way down.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
HKP

Dukey's absolutely right about Outer Banks beaches vs. any beaches you'll see elsewhere.

NC's a little short on classical resort-type places - although there are some notable "spas." Chetola http://www.chetola.com/ is the resort near Blowing Rock - it's ok but if you're expecting a lot of planned activities, you'll be disappointed. Look at the website carefully.

On the Outer Banks, you should look at the Sanderling in Duck, toward the north. http://www.thesanderling.com/

Personally, I don't see why you have to choose only one or the other.... no way spend a long weekend one place, that June week the other?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:08 AM
HKP

Just noticed a featured photo of a tennis court on Sanderling's website. There you are.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot to all who are replying. I checked Duck, and it is an almost 7 hour drive from Charlotte. The southern beaches are about 2 hours less. That works better for us. I know I get into SC with Hilton Head, and Charleston, but does anybody have suggestions for that area? I am also looking it up in other posts. Thanks again.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM

The Carolina Beaches (not OBX)are about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. You can pretty much get anywhere from Wilmington, NC to Savannah in that time frame, in fact.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
cbr

We live in southern FL so we have plenty of beaches here, but I agree the OBX area is quite unique and worth the trip. One unique area to visit is the Roanoke/Manteo Island area. The N.Carolina School of the Arts puts on annual summer productions from Shakespeare to Music in a gorgeous setting on the water. There is also the annual play The Lost Colony which is very good and you won't find anywhere else in the world. In that area is the Wright Brothers Memorial so there is plenty to do, plus some great restaurants.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM

minsin - I am south of Charlotte (SC) and the quickest I can get to any beach in SC is 3 hours (to Charleston) and 3 1/2 hours (to Myrtle Beach).

If you want to stay with SC beaches I'd say look at IOP, or North Myrtle Beach, or Pawleys Island, or even Murrels Inlet.

I prefer to rent directly from the owners on Vacation Rentals by Owner (www.vrbo.com) but we have also stayed at the Embassy Suites/Kingston Plantation in MB in a 2br villa (using our hotel points). It turned out just fine (these are privately owned though so some are apparently nicer than others?)

We in fact are headed to a NC beach this summer (Holden Beach) and can't wait.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM

I am getting the feeling you just want a "resort'--from your earlier posts.
I would NEVER suggest MB as a unique beach experience--which is what a number of us were saying vis a vis an overseas beach experience. OBX would be unique. The beaches south of MB--or even the NC beaches north of MB are truly a unique experience.
SO it seems you have had the Carolina beach experience. I'm having a bit of trouble seeing what you do want. It seems you may be bored with what is available.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Since you say you like VRBO, I am sure there are a lot in the mountains in Banner Elk, Sugar mountain and such--maybe even Yonahlossee. Blowing Rock, etc.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM

For what it is worth I too wouldn't say MB would be my first choice for unique (although I've met some that would argue that point?) I was trying to base my suggestions on what it (seems?) that minsin is now looking for (in regard to driving distance, beach, resort, cost, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -