how do I spend 3 weeks?

Search

how do I spend 3 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I spend 3 weeks?

In November we have 3 weeks to spend around NYC, see Niagara Falls, Washington DC. Any suggestions on how we should divide our time would be greatly appreciated. We are not there to see anything in particular but just to have an idea what that part of America looks like. Thanks so much!
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM

Knowing where you are from and what you are interested in seeing would help.
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Agree with that. Also what kind of travelers you are (budget, ages etc.)

I'll just say the best way to get to Niagara Falls from NYC is flying. Jetblue.com is one airline that flies from JFK to Buffalo, NY. From there you can either rent a car and drive to the Falls yourselves or pick up a tour if you don't want to drive. I've heard http://www.bedoretours.com/sightseeing.html
are good.

Taking a train from NYC to Washington, DC is easy. You can also fly or use a bus.
Philadelphia is an easy daytrip from NYC and there are also some other nice daytrips you can do in Nov.
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM

With 3 weeks and you want to be centered in the Metro East Coast area, forget the Falls. It's nice but not worth the time and money for a "side trip". I suggest a full decent paced (is that even possible in NYC - LOL) week in NYC. You still won't see it all but you will get a great "drink" of the city. You might not even make it out of Manhattan! Go to Washington DC for at least 2 days, maybe 3. So very much to see. It is the "Future Rome" when the next earth cycle occurs and all that is left is the monuments. Museums are too numerous and a must see for historical, not to mention the Smithsonian. Kick in a Baltimore day for history as well. Now, on the North side.....Boston is a wonderful city to walk and a couple of 3 day drive up into Maine is wonderful. You will find a million side trips and stops and will have a wonderful time. This all coming from a Floridian that has never lived there but traveled to the NE very often. Enjoy.
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I agree to bag the Falls. Many activities have closed alredy that late in the year. And - depending on your dates there could be substantial snow already. (Parts of upper NYS had over 140" of snow last winter.)

Without knowing details of your interests - it's hard to give specifics. You'll definitely want to do DC, NYC and Boston. What to do in between will determie if you should train or drive - or a combo. If you start near DC you migh still see some of the fall foliage colors - esp if you do Wiliamsburgh and/or Mount Vernon.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM

I would still go to the Falls. I am originally from outside of Buffalo and it is still nice to go to the Falls...We don't ALWAYS have snow then!!! and Syracuse is the one where they got hit really hard....Buffalo had their snow last Oct...but that was a freak storm!
I say go!!
Go to the Red Coach Inn for dinner. It overlooks the Whirlpool Rapids....
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM

If you're intent on seeing the falls, can you fly open jaw from home to Toronto, then from DC back home? That would make your life so much easier. Otherwise, I'd recommend flying open jaw into Boston, then visiting Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. You'd get four big cities in and plenty of time to get a feel for them. You could also tack on Newport (in Rhode Island) for something a little less city.

If the Falls are a must -- they are spectacular, but they're the only thing to do there! -- you could go Falls --> NYC --> Philly --> DC.

Have fun!