Search

Help with Itinerary for East Coast from San Jose,CA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Itinerary for East Coast from San Jose,CA

Hi everybody,

We've planned our first trip to East Coast from 5th July to 12 July (from SanJose, CA).

Primarily wish to see the Niagara Falls,
New York City and Washington, D.C.

Please point out if we're planning right!

5th Fly to Buffelo, from San Jose, CA
6th Visit Niagara Falls
7th At Niagara Falls and Fly to New Jersy
8th Visit New York City
9th Visit New York City
10th Fly/Drive to Washington, D.C
11th At Washington, D.C,
12th Fly back to San Jose, CA

I need help on following:

1. Is this order ok? any other suggestions.
2. Will we need Rental Car is must at Niagara Falls?
3. Do Canada side is must-see?

1. Should we drive from Buffelo to New Jersy,
or, our itinerary is too tight for this. and should prefer flight.
2. Can we cover, New York City in two days by staying two days in New Jersy.
3. is our understanding that, we will not need rental car in New York City is correct?

1. Should we drive from New York City to Washington, D.C. Should we do this, as we
got the impression that rental car is must for Washington, D.C.

And finaly, Are 2 days each is OK at each destination.

we will appreciate your comments on our itinerary.

thnx!

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Some thoughts to consider:

You only have a week - Niagra adds a lot of travel time; it is a long drive, of if you fly it is still another round of airport hassles with baggage and security. I would consider dropping Niagra given your time frame.

Much depends on your specific interests. You could fly into New York, pick a car up there and drive to Washington; going via Pennsylvania would give a chance to see some of the rural east as well as the cities. If you have an interest in American history, Gettysburg would be a good stop. Closer to the coast, the Baltimore inner harbor area is a nice place to visit. The museums in Washington are great, and can easily soak up a lot of time - you may want to allow more time there. Williamsburg, several hours south of Washington is also quite interesting.

You can get by without a car for both NY and Washington, but you will need to pay attention to both how you will get from airport to hotel, and how close the hotel is to a subway/commuter train stop.

If you are renting a car, it can be worth considering alternative airports - sometimes they have good fares because discount airlines use them (but not always). I prefer smaller airports because they are usually easier to navigate. White Plain (north of NYC) is one option, BWI (between Baltimore and Washington) is another.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:53 PM

You will get much more out of your very limited time if you fly from Buffalo to whatever available airport is closest to downtown Manhatan, stay in the city, then take the Amtrak train from NYC to DC. The train will take you from one downtown to the other, so it takes no longer than flying and is much more convenient and less hassle.

You will not need a rental car in either NYC or DC;both have excellent public transit systems, plenty of taxis, and terrible traffic and parking situations. As "curmudgeson" recommended, jsut make sure that your hotel in DC is convenient to a Metro stop.

Two days in each location is very very tight -- one could easily fill two weeks in each city, but two days will give you a taste and impression!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:44 PM

NY and DC both have lots to see. Two days at each city are tight, but you'll see enough to make your trip worth it. You'll need a car in Buffalo. From Buffalo is 45 minutes drive to Niagara falls. You should stay on the Canadian side of the falls because it is more fun there than the American side. There is only a state park on the American side, and it's quiet during the day and dead quiet at night. On the Canada side, there are motels, hotels, restaurants, chessy museums by the falls. Very nice to have dinner with a great view of the fall, then walk around after dinner. Plus the view is much better from the Canadian side.
Flying to NY city is better than NJ. Even the Newark airport is right across the Hudson from NY city, it's more convienet to stay in NYC. Fly into NY La Guidia and take a taxi to your NYC hotel. JFK airport is further out of the city. Time Square will be the ideal locatiion to stay in NYC. After NYC, take the train to DC. The NY train station (Grand Central) is only a few blocks from Time Square. A beautiful station to see even you don't take the train. Both NYC and DC have extensive bus and subway system that will take you to all the tourist attractions. You won't need a car. Have fun.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:31 PM

I may be prejudiced but I would drop Niagara Falls - its very beautiful - but you can really enjoy it in about an hour. I would save the time and add more to both NY and DC.

As others said a car is useless in either city. Do not stay in New Jersey - the trek in and out of Manhattan will be very wearing, time-consuming and expensive. Instead stay center city in both places and take the train in between - usually costs less and is more convenient and no more time than flying.

I know a lot of tourists stay inTimes Square - but I really recommend against it unless your main goal is to see several shows. Try another neighborhood more typical of New York - and less filled with other tourists - perhaps central park south or upper west side.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM

I agree with nytraveller. Niagara Falls really shouldn't be part of a NYC/DC trip. It should be part of a Toronto trip. By going to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, you're adding lots of travel time and expensse, which is better saved for NYC/DC. Go to NF some other time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:34 AM

We went to Niagara Falls two years ago because my husband really wanted to see the Falls. Prior messages are correct - it isn't the most spectaluar of sites, and with the limited time try to stick to NYC and Washington. Get a Fodor book and do recommended itinerary. Washington is the best- free museums, and moving momnuments of the kind you've never seen. Lots of walking so comfy shoes. It will probably be very hot and humid, so plan clothing accordingly. A great place to eat is the National Museum of Art. About $15 but what a spread.