Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How best to extend 3 day visit to Breckinridge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 3-day family reunion booked in Breckinridge in July. I'd like to extend the trip to 7-9 days and am not sure where to focus our time. It will be my husband, myself and our 3 teenage sons. We will be flying in and out of Denver and will rent a car. We do not want to camp. 1/2 day hikes and general sightseeing are what we are looking for. Would like to see Rocky Mountain National Park, but are a bit concerned about crowds. If you had 4 days to spend within 4 hour drive from Denver/Breckinridge where would you go?
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 06:36 AM

Go to your library and get a guidebook for Colorado. You have a lot of options and you would not have to move much from Breckenridge. You have Leadville and the Mineral Belt trail. A 12 miles paved, relatively flat, loop trail and that is like an outdoor museum of the mining history. Great for bicycles. Leadville has a great history.

Georgetown railroad and silver mine to the east is terrific as is Georgetown itself. Take a hotel tour. Head west to Glenwood Canyon and hot springs in Glenwood. The rules for Hanging Lake are changing so that may or may not be an option. Swing through Aspen and the Maroon Bells home via Independence pass. RMNP and Trail Ridge Road will be busy but it is a big areas. White water rafting on the Arkansas river could still be an option at that time of year. And you could spend a couple of days in Denver. Your options are endless and I cannot write a guide book for you. You can easily fill a month.

Last edited by fmpden; Feb 28th, 2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: editing
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 07:20 AM

a couple general comments, considering age of kids: There are lots of good hikes near Breck. Stop by their visitor center for help. Breck's Peak 8 adventure park will be open. It's almost comically expensive, but the alpine coaster is a hoot. An hour or two west is Glenwood Springs, which has a better adventure park, available rafting and the springs. Better rafting is available near salida and Ft. collins (2 different directions).
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 01:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Do visit Rocky Mt.National Park, incredible scenery.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 03:10 AM

At Copper Mountain ski area is Woodward --it is a center where trick skiiers and snowboarders go to practice by skiing down and falling into big foam rubber "pits". All indoors. Your boys would love it for an afternoon. Maybe someone would like to fly fish. In Silverthorne there are outfitters who will provide gear and lessons to fish in the tail waters of Dillon Dam nearby. Also in Aspen to fish the Roaring Fork.
Do not miss RMNP. Who cares about crowds.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 02:01 PM

Go to the US forum page and use the pull down to go to a state , click on Colorado and look for TRs and other threads from people who did trips in Colorado.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks all for your tips! I appreciate the suggestions.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 06:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
You would find plenty to do in Summit County, with lodging in Breckenridge. If you really want to move someplace else, we love Aspen in the summer. But, if you want to see Rocky Mtn Natl Park, you have time to go there, easily. Drive on highway 9 to Kremmling, for the scenic route to Grand Lake. Visit the Grand Lake Lodge for a meal or a stopover. Drive into the park from there.