Suggestions for 3 days near Denver in late May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family (parents with 19 year old son) will be going out to Colorado for our nephew's high school graduation /family reunion the last week of May. The end of the week, Thursday to Sunday, is the family time in Colorado Springs. We are flying into Denver the weekend before, and will have three full days to explore another area before heading to Colorado springs, arriving by Wednesday afternoon.

We have been to Rocky Mt. National Park, to Colorado Springs itself, Cripple Creek, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Pike's Peak on an earlier trip. We would like to enjoy some mountain scenery, visit historic sites, maybe do some short hikes. I realize from the reading I have done that many places might not be open yet that week and that weather could be a problem at some of the higher elevations. We are willing to stay different places different nights especially as it seems we might want to make a loop starting west of Denver.

My husband has some interest in spending a few days in SE Wyoming so I am adding Wyoming to the tag.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:32 AM

There's not much connection between SE Wyoming and anywhere scenic in Colorado.

With 3 full days, how about some time in Vail, if the weather's decent? You could walk along the path along the river. I don't know that any of the hikes in that area would be accessible. In the Frisco area, there are some hikes around Dillon reservoir that should be clear.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM

There is very little in NE Colorado and SE Wyoming worth seeing. And you are taking about 3 to 4 hours just to get to SE Wyoming. For same amount of time you could do a loop through Glenwood Springsm Glenwood Canyon, Leadville, Vail. Leadville has a 12 mile hiking/biking trail, Mineral Belt Trail, that is a real gem. In Glenwood Canyon there is a trail along side the river. In Glenwood the hot spring pool covers about a city block. A lot of options in central Colorado.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

My husband thought more like 2 1/2 hours to the Cheyenne area from Denver airport. I agree it doesn't seem as appealing as central Colorado. My husband and I would actually be interested in seeing Fort Laramie National Historic Site but I am sure my son would not be enthusiastic

I am more interested in the kind of loop you suggest. We are not terribly interested in the bigger resorts, especially those with no historic base/downtown. I had been thinking of Leadville for at least part of the trip. In Colorado Springs I would like to go back to Garden of the Gods before the family events start.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 07:29 PM

I second the Leadville / Glenwood Springs ideas, but do consider Breckenridge instead of Vail. Still touristy, but more small-town atmosphere, and hiking is excellent.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

We drove through/past the outskirts of Breckenridge years ago, and all I remember is a nice playground and buying great smoked trout at a supermarket. The downtown historic district does sound appealing.

I am thinking we will stay in Golden the first night we arrive so we can visit the Colorado railroad museum the next day. My husband is a huge train buff.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM

I also think the central Rockies are the best choice. I have two more suggestionssince you said your husband is a rail buff. While you're in Colorado Springs, Check out the Royal Gorge Railroad which is powered by streamliner engines. See http://www.royalgorgeroute.com/.

As you are climbing into the mountains, the town of Georgetown is an interesting stop. It's an old mining town with many restored Victorian homes and was the first capitol of Colorado. In addition, it is home to the Georgetown Loop Railroad. http://www.georgetownlooprr.com/sche...imetable.shtml
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links to the trains. It looks as though we would have to choose between the rrd museum and one of the rides since the steam train rides are only on weekends. I will consult my husband

Georgetown and Silver Plume look interesting for history even if we don't take a train ride.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM

Breckenridge is a historic mining town, though only some of the buildings on Main St. are the original structures; others are hideous '70s buildings. Off Main St. to the east are more Victorian houses and buildings. Some of the old homes can be toured.

In Leadville you'll find a mining museum, which is interesting if you like mining and history (I do, so I enjoyed it). Leadville also has a narrow-guage railroad, but I don't know when it runs. Leadville is kind of a cute little town, but for staying overnight, you might want to pick somewhere else (like Breck or Vail).
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM

We've skied Breckenridge--it really is a nice, picturesque little town--my favorite stop in the summit area. I haven't been to Leadville myself, but I've heard it's interesting. We have friends who traveled there and rode one of the train routes last summer--I'll have to ask where they went and what they did. Have fun