Search

Input for Colorado Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input for Colorado Trip

Good evening!

I am looking at flying into Denver on June 21st at lunchtime and flying back out of Denver on June 26th. I have done some research, but I am interested in an itinerary that would take us to some places where we could do some hiking, see some sights, drink some good beer, and ultimately end up back in Denver dinnertime on the 24th.

I realize that this isn’t much time for this trip, but my wife and I don’t mind long days and driving for a good chunk of time as soon as we get off the plane. I would love to get down towards Silverton and Ouray, but open to ideas.

There is a small possibility that I could extend the trip to the 28th, but looking unlikely. Any input on an itinerary is greatly appreciated!
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Ouray and Silverton are a haul from Denver, but in my personal favorite part of the state.

From Ouray you can hike (most of it up), take a jeep tour, drink beer (two breweries last I checked - we were just there in early May) and see some gorgeous bits of CO.

Our favorite accommodation there is the Box Canyon Lodge. Ridgway has some good food too.

There's some nice hiking from Durango too (and plenty of beer).

Last edited by Melnq8; May 27th, 2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:05 PM

Ouray and Silverton are really to far for convenient travel. It is a good eight hour drive. You would chew up two days of travel just getting to and from. it would be a lot of mountain driving. For the 21st you could get to Georgetown, Georgetown railroad and silver mine. Head on towards Breckenridge and Breckenridge Brewery or stop in Dillon at the Dam Brewery. The next day (22nd) hang around Breckenridge or head towards Leadville and the Mineral Belt trail - 12 miles - fairly flat. Great exposure to the old mining history and mining town. Take Independence pass into the back (south end) side of Aspen -overnight. Maroon Bells (23) and down valley to Glenwood Springs. Perhaps a quick run to the east (90mins) to Colorado wine country. Or turn east and hit Hanging lake in Glenwood Canyon but a reservation (National Park Service) is required so that needs to be planned. Or hike the canyon itself. Staying somewhere around Vail. On the 24th hit the back side of Trail Ridge Road into Estes Park and into Denver for dinner.

Last edited by fmpden; May 27th, 2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 02:05 PM

Definitely don't overlook spending time in Boulder - it's an easy 30-60 minute drive (depending on traffic) from Denver. It has some great local breweries and is near tons of hiking. Check out Avery Brewing there - they've got great craft beers, good food, and you can walk around the brewery while you drink your beer. I would also look at spending a day in Rocky Mountain National Park - lots of hiking opportunities there, though also pretty large crowds around the time that you're going. If you don't mind crowds though, it would be a good place to spend the day and is only 1.5 hours from Denver.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 02:44 AM

Do what Fmpden suggests--especially the return through RMNP. This reaally gives you a complete tour of the Colorado high country.