Bryce, Zion, should we add Grand Escalante?

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce, Zion, should we add Grand Escalante?

My husband & I are meeting our daughter and her husband at Bryce and then on to Zion in July. They plan to do some of the more strenuous hikes as well as work their way down from Park City where they have a conference before meeting up with us. We will do some things together and some not, as we are 66 and 67 and don't want to do that longer, scarier hikes. So we are flying into Vegas and driving to Tropic for one night, spend next full day in Bryce, then drive to Zion at the end of that day for two more nights. Our last day in Zion, we will drive to Vegas and spend the night near the airport to fly home the next morning. We haven't booked our flights yet as I was looking at whether we would want to consider flying to Vegas a day earlier and spending spending an extra night in Tropic so we have the option to see more of Bryce or drive through some of Grand Escalante. Can others who have been in this area advise? I checked lodging and we would still be able to get another night at the same hotel in Tropic. Specific advice would be helpful on the drive to and from Tropic to Escalante, possible hikes and/or taking more time at Bryce. I think arriving one day earlier might give us the time for both options. Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 03:28 PM

You need at least one more day to go to Escalante and do some hikes there. If you click on my user name, you can see trip reports for Bryce, Zion, and Escalante. You may just want to add that extra day to Bryce--hike in Red Canyon--very pretty.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 05:25 PM

It will be hot in July, but a bit cooler at Bryce since it is at a much higher elevation. Maybe spend an extra day there or rent water shoes and poles and hike the narrows at Zion.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks !
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 05:24 AM

Nobody ever complains about having another day in that area. Add the extra day and you will have no issue finding something to do. There are lots of topics on here about Bryce/Escalante to give you ideas on hikes and drives.