Comments on possible Colorado itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put together a preliminary itinerary for my trip to Colorado later this summer, and have some questions. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Sat Aug 30:
- fly in to DEN around 10:30 am
- spend a few hours in Denver
- spend a few hours in Boulder
- spend the night in Estes Park

You think a few hours in Denver and Boulder are enough to get a feel for those cities? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have any "must see" attractions which might take up a lot more time.

Sun Aug 31:
- drive the Trail Ridge Road

About how long will it take to get from Estes Park to Grand Lake and then back to Estes Park? Is the road clogged with tour buses all day? Also, are the other roads (like Bear Lake Road, Old Fall River Road, etc) worth driving, and will I have time for them?

Mon Sep 1:
- do a hike in RMNP
- drive to Breckenridge and spend the night there

I want to do at least one hike in RMNP. I've seen people say the Bear-Nymph-Dream-Emerald lakes hike is a good one. Any other good ones I might be able to squeeze in?

Tue Sep 2:
- walk around the town, and maybe do a hike
- drive to Colorado Springs and spend the night there

Breckenridge is here on my itinerary, but I wonder if I should skip it. Is it worth spending a day just wandering around? Are there any hikes in the area that would offer great views? Or would it be better for me to skip it and spend the extra day in RMNP or Colorado Springs?

Wed Sep 3:
- Garden of the Gods
- Pikes Peak cog railway
- drive to Denver

I take it that GOTG and Pikes Peak are the two biggest attractions in Colorado Springs? Is there enough time to do them both in one day?

Thu Sep 4:
- get to the airport by 7 am

This one I'm certain about. Thanks for reading!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM

As a local I find it difficult to respond to your questions. It is not a trip I would plan -- to much driving -- but if it works for you -- it works. You can drive through Denver and Boulder and get a little feel for the cities. If you land at 10:30 it will be noon before you can get to downtown Denver and you need to leave by 2 so you don't get caught in the afternoon rush hour. Send an hour in Boulder and get to Estes Park by early evening -- assuming you get lunch and dinner somewhere along the way.

There is almost no tour buses on Trail Ridge. Fall River is an old gravel road with limited views. I guessing cause I have never done it but it is probably three hours to Grand Lake allowing for a number of stops along the way.

Personally I would stay in the Breckenridge area and maybe do a loop through Glenwood canyon and Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Independence Pass, Leadville, and back to Breckenridge. The 12 mile Mineral trail loop in Leaderville is great as is the Georgetown railroad in Georgetown either coming or going to Breckenridge.

I would save C Springs for another trip.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
As a former Denver and Colorado Springs resident I agree with fmpden - way too much driving in too little time.

Regarding other tourist sites/activities in Colorado Springs -

Olympic Training Center
Maintou Springs/Old Colorado City
Seven Falls
Cheyenne Mt Zoo
Broadmoor, Cheyenne Mt
Pioneer Museum, Van Briggle Pottery, etc.
Woodland Park (west of CS - nice museum up there, hiking, Green Mt
Falls, etc).
Cripple Creek (west of CS)

Not endorsing all of the above mind you, merely letting you know they exist...
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM

youre_up-

We will be driving from Denver to RMNP at the end of July and I called the park today to inquire about a number of things including driving routes from Denver to the park and the length of time to drive between various park destinations. I was told that without stops it takes 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours between Estes Park and Grand Lake.

It's been 17 years since I was last in Colorado, but I can't imagine driving to the park and only spending a few hours there. There are many great hikes, multiple visitor centers, many ranger led programs. Check out their website at http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisi...activities.htm

We took the Bear-Nymph-Dream-Emerald lakes hike and it was lovely. I plan to do it again during the 4-5 days that we'll spend in the park. This may have been an aberation but the one thing I remember in addition to how lovely the lakes were was the huge number of garter snakes along the beginning of the path. Strange since this is a very popular hike.

The park website describes the most popular trails including this one and you may also find this website helpful: http://www.trails.com/activity.asp?area=12021

We also plan to visit Colorado Springs and will do both the cog railway and Garden of the Gods. The cog railway takes a little over 3 hours and you need to be there 1/2 hour early. I was advised that morning trips may be better because of potential thunderstorms in the afternoon. There are a number of other options in the area-we plan to spend 2 days-Cave of the Winds, the Olympic Training Center, the Air Force Academy, a relocated cliff dwelling, etc.

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Personally, I found the statement that there are no "must sees" in Denver /Boulder is completely erronerous. There are a great many things to see/do. However,if your main purpose is in hiking and seeing the mountains, then head on out to RMNP.

IMOP Breckenridge is much superior to Colorado Springs. And, while the Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak are probably the biggest tourist attractions in C.S. they pale in comparison to many other places in the state.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM

I agree. That is why I find these questions somewhat offensive -- typical tourist. Have my list of a thousand things to see and if it is not on the list, then I don't see it. A touch of arrogance that I don't like.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Way too much moving around and little time to enjoy your destinations.

Denver and Boulder have plenty to see and do, but if you only have a couple of hours, it's not worth it to stop IMHO. I'd head directly to Estes from DIA, and enjoy more time at RMNP.

I wouldn't drive over Trail Ridge and back to the park. I'd go over Trail Ridge to Grand Lake to Granby to Hot Sulphur Springs, and across to Breckenridge on CO 9 (correct hwy number?).

Stay in Breckenridge and skip CO Springs this visit.

For a 7 a.m. flight, stay in Denver your last night.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the informative replies, everyone. A lot for me to consider.

A few years ago, I was in Interlaken in Switzerland, and did some hikes up in the mountains, and it was so beautiful. I want to do something similar this time.

Also, how long would it take to get from Denver to Boulder to Estes Park during rush hour?

Finally, I did mean for my comments to be offensive. I only meant that Denver/Boulder does not have anything that everyone feels they absolutely must see, like a Golden Gate Bridge, Eiffel Tower, or a Statue of Liberty.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Skip Colorado Springs. Do a hike on your first day at RMNP. Drive Trail Ridge Road one way to Grand Lake and head to Breckinridge from Grand Lake.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Oops, I wrote: "Finally, I did mean for my comments to be offensive." I mean, "I did NOT mean for my comments to be offensive."
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM

If you want to hike, you will have plenty of opportunities in Colorado, of course. Unless you choose to be in your car, instead of enjoying a hike!

That's why I say leave Colorado Springs off this time. Hiking in RMNP, Grand Lake, and Breckenridge will overwhelm you with beauty, believe me! (Just be aware of the beetle kill problem in our now-dead pine forest in Grand County and Summit County. Because it's shocking, even when you're prepared to see it.)

Rush hour Denver-Boulder-Estes wouldn't be horrible if you know the right route. You would definitely NOT want to drive on the Boulder turnpike at rush hour, or 270, either. Or I-25, if you can avoid it.

Maybe someone who knows can tell you how to go north and then cut west to Estes. I also wonder if I-25 can be avoided? Because it's a bear at rush hour, too.

Depends on what day of the week, and what you mean by rush hour, too. But your earlier post says Saturdy around noon for the drive. Maybe the time-frame has changed?
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I am not going to even read everything , but to say, "spend a couple of hours in Denver and Boulder and spend the night in EP" is unfathomable.
And to say that Denver and Boulder don't have any must sees is also "unfathomable".
WHAT do you want to spend your vacation doing. If it is hiking, then head for the Park, get settled and decide on a 'hike'
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
ahc

I'm sure the poster meant no harm, just like everyone who visits a new place and has a limited time frame and wants to hit the high points.

In response to your itinerary, I agree with the poster about skipping Colorado Springs, it's a beautiful place, but if it means spending less time in RMNP or Breck, I would skip it. I lived there for 10 years and Garden of the Gods is nice, but not spectacular - I prefer the Flatirons in Boulder. Also, RMNP is not a place you'll want to rush through, plenty of hikes and even Grand Lake is a quaint town that has fewer tourists than Breck due to it being not as easily accessible.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM

To answer your question about rush hour: provided there are at least two people in the car, you can use the HOV lane on I25 which takes you onto the Boulder turnpike (HWY 36). Unless you want a truly frightening experience, get on Northbound I 25 south of the Speer Ave. exit and get over to the far left lane. If you get on at Speer, you have 1/4 mile to cross four lanes at highway speed - doable, but you need a helper to tell you when to change lanes while you are watching the traffic ahead of you. More people are now using the HOV lane, but nothing like the clogged Chicago "express" lanes. Once you're on Hwy 36 and past Sheridan blvd. it's easy since Denver is now the bedroom community for Boulder and everyone else is headed the other way.

I don't know how you can get a feel for either Denver or Boulder in a few hours each, but if you like to hike, may I suggest a prairie hike? Head out to the corner of Hwy 93 and Hwy 123, south of Boulder. You will have your choice of two trailheads. One goes west and you will experience foothill country, but the other heads to Marshall Lake through the prairie and might be a great complement to your mountain hiking. The afternoon thunderstorms should be less likely, but just be aware that anytime after 1p.m. there is a chance of thunderstorms and you will be too close to the mountains to see it coming. So if it looks like a chance of rain, you might not want to do these since there is no shelter out there.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's an alternative to some of the other responses. In RNMP, don't go all the way to Grand Lake and back to Estes - it's a really long drive for one day, esp since you'll want to stop frequently. Instead, take Trail Ridge Road only as far as the visitor's center (not far past the Continental Divide), then go back to Estes for the night. By the time you get to the visitor's center, you'll have seen most of the really spectacular scenery. There's a short walk at the "top" (about 10 minutes before the visitor's center as I recall) that's really cool. Trail Ridge is prettier, I think, than Old Fall River Road.
For your hike the next day, I'd definitely recommend the Bear-Nymph-Dream-Emerald. It's a WOW hike, although expect crowds. It's prob the most popular hike in the park (deservedly so).
From there, I'd go to Co Springs rather than Breckenridge. A group of us did a fabulous bike ride there a couple years ago. We saw Garden of the Gods in the morning, then headed to the meeting point for the bike ride. We were taken up a mountain and dropped off with our bikes/helmets. The 2-hour ride was mostly downhill, mostly along an old railroad bed/dirt road. The scenery was wonderful. Afterwards, we had time to go up Pike's Peak (we drove). We loved it. Wanted to give you an alternative since most seem to recommend Breckenridge. It's pretty there, but I loved the day we had in Co Springs.
You'll have a great trip!
Karen
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Pity you can't come a few days earlier and enjoy the Democratic National Convention - a guaranteed 'must-see'.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the replies everyone.

I will skip Colorado Springs this time.

So I will have 4 days for RMNP and Breckenridge. How do you recommend I split the time? 2 days for each place, or 3 days for RMNP and 1 day for Breckenridge, or 1 day for RMNP and 3 days for Breckenridge?
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM

Agree with your plan to skip Colorado Springs. There are cool things to do in Denver(Red Rocks, Museum of Science), but not in 2 hours on the way to...Suggest you stop for lunch somewhere local on the way to Estes. If you like Mexican, we like La Loma in NW Denver. Others may have suggestions for Boulder - maybe a stop somewhere by CU & walk around the campus(it is beautiful). For Breck -there is a book about Hiking in Summit County. I'm sure you can get it there or order it from your library through InterLibrary Loan. If you have time to drive to Glenwood & visit the pool, it is special. But don't plan too much to just stop & look at the mountains!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Tess

If it was me, I'd go 2 days in Breck and 2 in RMNP. Think you're smart to pare down your itinerary this trip. Enjoy the Rockies!

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM

Personally, I'd stay in Breckenridge for all 4 nights. There's so much to do in that area. When we travel, I don't like wasting good time in packing and unpacking, checking in and out, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -