Houston, Tx to Pagosa Springs, Co

Feb 23rd, 2019, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Houston, Tx to Pagosa Springs, Co

Need advice on road trip from Houston to Pagosa Springs. Itenary recommendations please.

I will be driving with my 10 year old daughter. Family recently moved to Pagosa Springs. I do have to option to stay with family, however I might not want to. I have never driven in the snow. I drive a Jeep with off road tires. My mother is afraid something will happen to me. Fall off a cliff. Freeze to death. Get stuck and die. With all that said ó Iím still going for spring break and plan to have a great time.

This will be a girls trip. Laid back. No rush. Spring Break is from March 8-18. School resumes on the 18th. March 8th is a 1/2 day at school and figured I can pick up daughter from school and have a little adventure. I do not plan on driving at night.

What Iím a little nervous about is my family im visiting do not have cell service or GPS in the area they are staying. They got lost on the way there last week. Stuck in the snow. Slept in car overnight couldnít call for help with my 90 year old grandma who had to be rescued by police and reviewed by paramedics. Snow was up to their chest and grandma is in a walker and couldnít get through snow walking. Umm yeah ó so, I want to avoid all of that. Fun trip. Stress free. Although I do not plan on getting lost. Road trips are unpredictable but also exciting.

Iím actually an hour south of Houston. Lake Jackson. If I leave at noon - Lake Jackson north on 288 go through Houston total trip distance 15 hours 36 minutes.

I-10 towards San Antionio ..... then where ....

Recommendation on drive duration before stopping which cities to stay night in. Any neat restaurants along the way. Would love to stop in Roswell. Heard the McDonaldís is shaped like a flying saucer. As mentioned before. No rush and want the actual drive to be all part of the experience.

It should be snowing. Last snowman I made, I held in my hand and it melted within 1 hour. Just seeing snow will be exciting for my kid. I will also hate to say but my 10 year gets car sick and can make it from here to San Antionio before getting sick- So plenty of stops along the way.

If Iím not able to make it to Colorado for whatever reason. Iíll turn around and come home. The adventure alone will be memories that will last a lifetime. So yíall please guide me ....

I believe I mentioned everything. I googled they have hot springs also. Iíve never seen the mountains. Iíve hardly seen snow. Daughter said no to train ride although it would be fun.

Also - alternative stops on the way home. Not sure if I should leave Thursday or Friday etc. to come home. School starts back on Monday.

also a store to stop at to buy jackets and such. Not many stores down here sell jackets. I suppose most ski locations have little stores that sell things like that but would probably cost more.

Last edited by kendallm; Feb 23rd, 2019 at 09:24 PM.