houston to san antonio

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
houston to san antonio

I'm flying into Houston early next Thursday
and am driving to San Antonio. Is there anything famous and interesting to see on the way? Anything we should stop for that's not too far from the freeway? We're open too all suggestions. Thanks.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Famous and interesting? No. This question will seem funny after a few hours behind the wheel. Pack lots of fun music and let your spirits soar.

You will see lots of billboards for a place called Buckees. Watch for the giant beaver with the big smile. The bathrooms really are as good as the signs proclaim. This is always our designated pit stop.

For me, we don't dilly dally around on the road from Houston to SA. The fun is waiting for you in SA.

Have you read up on all the threads of what to do in SA? Two of my favorite things to do that aren't as popular as others are the Segway tour offered by SegCity and the Walking Ghost Tour that begins outside of the Alamo.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:14 PM

If you like good BBQ, stop in Luling . . about 2/3's of the way to San Antonio . . Go "downtown" and look for the City Market . . best BBQ in Texas! !

Rich
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:15 PM

When DH spent a year in Houston I drove that route, I-10 between San Antonio and Houston, every other weekend for the duration...I loved the country side and farm land, especially in spring when the wild flowers are in bloom. There are small towns between here and there though, to be honest, I don't know what there is to do except in Shiner where the Shiner Brewery is.

http://www.shiner.com/

Thankfully, the rest stops closest to Schulenberg were demolished and rebuilt. Before moving to Texas I had never experienced open air rest stop facilities...interesting, especially when the critters are crawling!
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - we will look for the giant smiling beaver and go for b-cue. I have read the threads and am looking forward to visiting SA.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 06:00 AM

The Buckies is at the Luling exit, so you can kill two birds with one stop . .

Rich
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 03:04 PM

In and around Schulenburg are some painted churches built by early German and especially Czech immigrants. Worth a look.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM

rkkwan, your post reminded me of a PBS (public television) special I saw on the painted churches. Great idea.

http://www.klru.org/paintedchurches/map.html
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Bucees for gas, snacks, and a bathroom break. Then to Luling, but beware that the City Market is nothin' fancy by any means, more along the lines of a local dive (sorry to offend 'cue pilgrims) . Also be aware that this is a better place for lunch than dinner, as it closes at the most inconvenient hour of 6 p.m.. Some good fried chicken in the area if City Market is closed may be had at the Rusty Rooster nearby. Look for the pumpjacks located throuhout the town, including a few in unexpected residential locals, as well as the watermelon shaped water tower.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Great information, lunch at City Market will be perfect timing for us. We will also visit the painted churches, sounds
interesting, esp since my busband is of
German descent. Thanks again.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM

How was your trip?