Houseboating on Lake Powell

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:43 AM
cd

Houseboating on Lake Powell

Has anyone done this and what marina would you suggest for rental? Any and all advice appreciated.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:41 AM
david

I have a friend with a time-share on a houseboat there and went with them 2 yrs ago. Awesome time! We started at Bullfrog Basin which is about halfway up the river, good access to the Escalante arm.

I think alot will depend on where you're coming from and how you're getting there. We drove from Montana through SLC and Bullfrog is the closest. If you're flying , you'll probably end up in Page which is the southern end of the lake.

Regardless, you'll have a great time!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:07 AM
kima

We too are thinking about Lake Powell for spring 2003. We have a condo in Keystone, Colorado that I would like to swap a week for a week. Anyone know of a site that might be helpful or anyway to rent a week other than thru the marinas? Maybe soemplace that ppl rent there timeshare weeks?

Thanks

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Tricia

Hi cd,
My family was at the Wahweap Marina & lodge this past summer's fourth of July week-end. The entire lake was packed with houseboats, power boat rentals, jet skis, etc. We rented an 18' power boat for the day. We had never experienced so much boat traffic! Due to the traffic, not the wind, the water was very rough.
We boat on one of the Great Lakes (Ontario)in NY. We've been boating for years. This was indeed a different experience for us!!
I would not recommend anyone go for this holiday week-end in summer. It was just too busy. We had rented a jet tube for our teenagers to ride on. There was too much traffic! We finally found a nice spot where we could beach the boat and swim. We stayed there where we felt safe for the last couple of hours of the day. It was indeed a very fun filled day, and one I'm sure we will all always remember.
We made the trip from Wahweap to Dangling Rope Marina and the scenery was beautiful all the way.
Go to lakepowell.com for maps and a ton of information. There is also a website at nps.gov, Glen Canyon Recreation Center. The tour of the Glen Canyon dam was excellent.
In our opinion, with all there is to see and do in the southwest, we think an entire week of houseboating would just get boring. We stayed 2 nights at the Wahweap lodge (just o.k.) and that was enough.
The drive from the east through Monument Valley is just breathtaking, as is the drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from Page.
Whatever you decide, have a great time!
Tricia

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
cd

Thanks Tricia.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:28 PM
sn

I've rented houseboats twice on Lake Powell, once in May and once in September. I rented at Bullfrog and never had any problems with crowds--in fact, we would go the entire day and see maybe 6 other boats. I'd recommend going in the summer/fall as opposed to spring, only because the water is much warmer. I'd also splurge on the rental--make sure the boat has a gas grill, etc. Have a great time!

The website is www.lakepowell.com

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:33 PM
cd

Can you rent for 4 days and do you just find a cove for swimming and to spend the night?