Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you rent cold weather gear for Haleakala?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 11:30 AM
jim

Will be visiting Maui and plan to do the sunrise thing on Haleakala. Does anyone know if you can rent cold weather clothing for the trip? I don't want to cram a big jacket and mittens to use for a couple of hours in Hawaii.

Thanks

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Nova

I doubt if you can rent cold weather gear. You don't need a big jacket and mittens. The temperature will be around 40 degrees. Most people get by with a sweatshirt and long pants, and if you are a real wimp take a blanket with you. There is a shelter at the summit so you can stay out of the wind and maybe rain. It warms up quickly after the sun comes up.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 02:16 PM
jamie

don't forget a pair of socks.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Mark

I think some fo the Haleakala sunrise tours offer coats, but I don't know which one.

We were very cold! Defiantely have gloves & hats, there were many people with their hotel blankets wrapped around them

Have a great vacation!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Laura

We did the sunrise bike tour in June and it was cold at 5AM!! We packed long pants and sweatshirt and needed them, but we took a tour, so they supplied us w/gloves and rain gear for the bike ride down. Bring blankets (from the hotel)to sit and watch the sunrise! Have a great time!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:21 PM
michelle

If you mind the cold weather at home and usually need to bundle up, then definitely bring warm clothes. I think it depends on your body type. I wore jeans, mittens, warm socks and a shirt and sweatshirt and I was still cold.

By the way, the cold weather is worth it. The sunrise is beautiful.

You should look into doing the Pony Express while up at Haleakala. It is a guided horseback ride with about 8 people. It goes down into the crater about 2 hours. They provide a packed lunch. Then you ride back up the crater for two more hours. It was physically exhausting for me since I'm usually a couch potato, but it was one of the most spectacular things I feel I've ever done. I highly recommend it.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:58 PM
scigirl

It is cold - There were plenty of people watching the sunrise wearing hotel bathrobes layered over their clothes, wrapped up in beach towels, hotel towels, hotel bedspreads, blankets, etc. I don't recall hearing about any business that rent warm clothing, unless you are taking the bike tour. However, with a pair of pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and various towels/blankets you probably would be ok. (Of course, blankets, etc. should be returned clean and in good condtion to the hotels...)