Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cliff Dweller's Lodge at Lake Powell-- any info.out there?

Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for good lodging at Lake Powell - what about Cliff Dweller's Lodge? Or any recommendations appreciated.
JC
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Hi JoCie!

Sorry, can't help you on the Cliff Dweller's Lodge. Do you know at which marina area it is located?

Some important things to know about Lake Powell right now: After 5 years of severe drought in the West, Lake Powell is only 50% full. This means water levels are 60 - 80 feet lower than normal. It's never been this low since the dam was built and the lake filled.

Negatives = up to a mile of mud flats between the shore & the water. Mud flats that will suck the boot right off your feet - never to be found again. Boat ramps at the marinas are high & dry. The park service is going to extend them down to the water level, but even so, rec boaters could still face hours of waiting to launch. Ferries across are using boat launch ramps because ferry ramps are high & dry. Uncovered sandbars in unexcepted places are a serious danger. Be extra cautious if you are boating on your own.

Positives: Scenery that has been underwater for decades is now visible. Gives you more of a chance to see what Glen Canyon looked like before development took priority over nature & history. When visitors to the lake see the obvious, serious decrease in water supply they might spread the word about water conservation.

So, it will still be beautiful, but very different.

Have fun!
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM

Hi Dayle! Since so much of Lake Powell has dried up, is it worth spending one night and the next morning there? We would be coming from Bryce Canyon on the way to Monument Valley. It seems to me that it would be too far (290-305 miles according to the mileage facts I've researched) to travel in one day unless we rushed past everything on the way. The Lake Powell area sounded like a beautiful area to break the trip. Now I wonder. What do you think? Do you know anything about an Antelope Canyon Cruise, which was recommended in Frommer's guidebook, but without any details?
I have been unable to find information on approximately how long it takes to drive from Page, AZ to Monument Valley. (126-150 miles) The West is so different from Florida where we live that it is hard to us to estimate. Do you have an idea of the length of time we should allow (ie would there be time for a cruise or tour at Lake Powell in the morning if we do stay overnight there)? Our trip is being planned for Sept. Thanks for your advice.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:32 AM

I was in Lake Powell last summer, and lake levels were low then too, but there was still plenty to do. You are still able to enjoy boating, as the lake is huge, and the scenery is still spectacular. Antelope Canyon is not approachable by water - perhaps you are thinking of Rainbow Bridge boat trips? I enjoyed both, as well as sunset at Horseshoe Bend.

I stopped in Page for a few nights on my way from Monument Valley to the north rim of the GC, and am glad i did. The drive from Monument Valley to Page was long and at some points boring. Not sure when you're going, but when I was there in June the dust blowing in the Monument Valley area made the drive even slower. Some parts of the drive are on two lane highways, slowing us down even further when stuck behind a Winnebago.

I definitely recommend spending a night in Page. There are plenty of inexpensive, clean hotels/motels and enought to do to make it worth a stop.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:25 PM

We just returned from a trip out that way. Coming from sedona we stayed at Camerons Trading Post on our way to the North Rim. It was really a great place to stay. Nice rooms, great food, and terrific shopping. We passed by Cliff Dweller, Marble Canyon Lodge and Jaboc Lake and were really glad we stayed where we did they all looked run down and shabby.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:44 PM

I know it's confusing but there is an Antelope Boat Cruise. It goes around Antelope Island on the Lake.

This is different than the Antelope Canyon that you have to drive to so you can explore the corkscrew canyons.

Utahtea
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:04 AM

Utahtea, your info on the southwest is usually right on and very helpful, but I must add to your comment on the Antelope boat cruise. We did this boat ride 3 weeks ago, and it in fact does go up into Antelope Canyon. The boat drives into the canyon, and you are soon surrounded by shear canyon walls on all sides, and it gets progressively narrower - very impressive. The day we went it was very windy, so the boat driver was afraid of banging into the walls and didn't go in quite as far as usual, but it was still quite spectacular. I suspect the first few miles of Antelope Canyon are under water.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Zootsie,
We will be in the Lake Powell area at the end of June. How was the water level when you were there?

Can anyone recommend the most scenic boat cruise for Lake Powell if we are based in Page? We were thinking of staying at the Wahweap Lodge which I found out about on Fodors thanks to all of you!
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Zootsi,

I didn't mean to imply that you don't go into Antelope Canyon but that there are two ways of getting there.

Tell me if I'm wrong but I thought the Antelope Canyon by boat has shear flat walls? The Antelope Canyon by land has corkscrew ones, I believe. I'll know better this summer when I FINALLY take the tour!

Utahtea