Hotels near Minneapolis Metrodome

Jul 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Hotels near Minneapolis Metrodome

Hi All

I have a play reading at the Playwrights Center in September, which I understand is kind of near the metrodome. Are there any locals who can tell me if this is near downtown, where most of the hotwire/priceline deals seem to be?

Jul 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM

The Holiday Inn Metrodome,
1500 WASHINGTON AVE SOUTH
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

is very close to hear, not much more than a mile (per directions on Mapquest). You can walk it, (but, I wouldn't do it at night, alone, especially if you're a woman, but probably ok if you're in a group with some guys).
There is a bus that runs east & west on Franklin,(can catch it right at the Playwrights Center at Franklin & 23rd AVE) but, you'd have to jump off at Cedar, to catch another bus to take you to the Holiday Inn Metrodome Hotel.
This is the closest hotel I can think of, & it is just on the edge of downtown Minneapolis. If you prefer to be in the midst of downton, there is a Marriot City Center, & I think an Embassy Suites.
ENJOY MINNEAPOLIS,it is a GREAT CITY!

Jul 29th, 2008, 10:39 AM

oops, I should have said the Holiday Inn Metrodome "is very close to here" (sorry for spelling error!)
Jul 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I think you got bad information about the proximity to the Metrodome.

I'm in Minneapolis several times a year and was curious where the Playwright's Center is in relation to the hotel I normally stay at, The Minneapolis Grand. (That hotel is only 4 blocks from the Metrodome.)

It looks like the Playwright's Center is actually well past both 35W and I-94 and closer to The Medical Center. I'd say that is at least 1 1/2 miles from the Metrodome.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a cab in the downtown area. As I said, I prefer the Minneapolis Grand. It isn't the cheapest option around but I like the oversized room, the large bathroom, and the coffee delivery just after my wake-up call. There are multiple businesses in the downtown area so you have plenty of hotel options ranging from the Le Meridian to the Hyatt.
Jul 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM

My question would be: what is your mode of transportation between the hotel and the Playwrights' Center?

I had to google to find out where it is, and it's really not walkable from there to downtown. PC is a few blocks from the Franklin light rail station. The light rail line runs between the airport and downtown - so if you get a downtown hotel near a light rail station you're all set. The Holiday Inn is probably within a reasonable walking distance and should be relatively safe.

Problem would be using hotwire/priceline since you won't know the exact hotel until after you book it.
Jul 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm not too worried about which hotel exactly, it's just that and Priceline have "downtown " as an area with a lot of hotels, so I wanted to see if that was doable. Sounds like cabs are easy and the light rail works ell. I wouldn't walk much at night without my DH so that's not an issue.

I'd love to invite any locals - its' a free event but I don;t know how much Fodors would frown on me posting it here - but it's a reading on September 8, at the PWC. Details are here:

http://www.pwcenter.org/events.php?pid=160

Any suggestions for restaurants and other things not to miss would be great. I'll be in town from Sat - Tuesday
Jul 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM

I like Brit's Pub on the Nicollet Mall and Cafe Lurcat near Loring Park.
Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Found a hotel downtown - The Hyatt for $55 /night on PL!

Still looking for recommendations for food, esp near the Playwrights Center itself..

thanks - and if you're local please come to the reading!
Aug 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
LHS

We've had good meals at The Newsroom on Nicollet, and had a very fun evening at Brit's Pub, but didn't eat there.

The light rail stop on Nicollet is several blocks from the Hyatt, but walkable. We've stayed across the street at the Millennium without a car and rode the light rail to & from the airport.

The only place we ate near the Playwrights Center was Perkins, dropping off a kid at Augsburg college and it was convenient.