Search

Hotels.com

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels.com

I have never used them before and am wondering if anyone has had any problems with them.
Reason I am asking is because a room that I am looking for a night is listed at 209.00 and than the other selections are 93.00 for almost the same room.
Hummmmmmmm to good to be true?
Thanks for any input ~ think I should act fast.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Should add...nice hotel 4 star. River North
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I have had very good luck with www.travelnow.com for hotels in Europe (and I believe travelnow is in some way related to www.hotels.com).

Through travelnow I have gotten deals as good as the one of which you are suspicious.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM

sorry to be blunt but your question is very confusing...

Is the $93 rate at the Hotel.com website and the $209 rate at the actual hotel website?

What does "the other selections" mean?

Where is River North?

"Almost the same room" is not the same as "the same room" so are you really comparing apples to apples?
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Hi Bags,

There is a poster on the Europe board who was saying that he booked his Italy hotels on Hotels.com and now cannot cancel them. I would check very carefully on their cancelation policy!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I always check with a hotel directly before booking through any of the booking sites. Most of the time I can get the same rate or even less by booking directly. I have used booking sites (expedia, orbitz, travelhero but not hotels) without any problem. And i also agree to carefully read the cancellation policy regardless of where you book.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM

This situation is worth a phone call to the hotel to ask what the difference is or if they can match the price.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry!
Did not mean to be confusing! (See what happens when you post at work in a hurry )
Both prices were on Hotels.com

209.00 room is standard King...with a standard cancellation policy subject to a 25.00 fee but not refundable if you cancel w/in 24 hrs of your stay.

93.00 is standard king...non refundable.

Really have no reason to cancel.
Its a Monday night stay... but might play the game and just wait til its a bit closer to book. We live local and can always just go home after doing our thing downtown if room rate is not available in a few days.

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:13 AM

This may be Chicago.

I had best luck with Quikbook there.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:53 AM

I tried Hotels.com to book my first 2 nights in Phoenix in a couple of weeks. It proved cheaper to go the Days Inn website than to use Hotels.com or Expedia or any others I tried.

Also, and this tickled me, initially I booked for 3 nights at say, $65 per night, incl tax., however, I needed to modify my booking and stay only 2 nights. The modified price? $50 per room per night. How does this work?

MaryJo
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Sorry, I took your original post to be comparing two rates from two different sources. What you have found is not unusual. If you are willing to do a reservation that can't be cancelled and probably pay for it in advance, then it is not unusual to get such wonderful deals. If you feel sure that you won't want to cancel it, then do it.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I have used hotel.com several times with great success, and I have been VERY happy. Most recently I used it for a hotel room in the Boston area, and got the room for $50 a night instead of the $200 a night the hotel was quoting.

Also used it in Orlando, Atlanta and San Francisco and got rooms for about a quarter of what the quoted rates were.

Good luck.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM

We used hotels.com successfully last year for a hotel in London. Just be sure to read all the fine print regarding taxes, fees and cancellation policies.

We had to reduce our stay by one night which was subject to a $25 change fee. Hotels.com waived the fee before I even had a chance to ask them to do it.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:33 PM

I've used hotels.com with no problem. However, if you are staying in Chicago be sure to check hotrooms.com - they have all the listings of the contracted hotels in the city for meetings, and they'll pass the prices to consumers to fill the room blocks.

I always use Priceline for Chicago and have never been disappointed!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:33 PM

But, always check with the hotel and see if they will match a price; they often will (they rent the room, and don't pay the fees), and then you have the choice to follow their cancellation policies, usually much better than the prepay websites.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:15 PM

I have used hotels dot com in the past without problem, but not for a couple years. Many hotels now have a "guaranteed best rate" policy on their website and the discounters can't beat the rate. If prices are equal, I'd rather book with the hotel, so that's why no recent use of hotels dot com.
In terms of the price difference - sounds like the rooms are the same and what differs is the refundability. Not unusal to see this, even on some sites run by the hotel itself, though the difference in price is not usually so dramatic.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM

We only used them once--paid $95 for a room at Caesar's Palace Las Vegas in 1999. At that time the going rate for the room was about double that. We were put in an old, non-refurbished room on a floor where most of the rooms were occupied by some kind of school field trip of teen-aged girls. I should have complained, but did not. I always thought that we were placed there b/c we had booked thru Hotels.com for the lower price, and as a result have never used them again. This is a one-time experience that may be completely unrepresentative of their service, but as you asked, I thought I would respond.

On a separate note, the experience was so unpleasant--many other details that I have left out--that on our subsequent 4 trips to LV since then, we have never stayed at Caesar's again either.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Got a good price at an excellent hotel in Victoria, BC last year through hotels.com. No problems at either the hotel or with hotels.com. Room was good, view was not, but for the price we got that was not a problem.